Complaint Review: Freelancer.com

• Updated: Sat, May 25, 2013

• Reported By: and1ommy — Other
Freelancer.com
Internet Australia

Freelancer.com illegitimate suspension of funds Internet

*UPDATE Employee: I'd like to help!

*Consumer Suggestion: Small claims court

I've been using freelancer.com website for freelance programming tasks since they took over another popular site scriptlance.com.

Idea of freelance programming is that employers (people that want a job done) post an ad, and there's an "auction" of bids from freelancers to complete the task

I've recently completed a project for an employer in Brazil which involved writing an automation tool.

We were in the last stage of completing the project, employer already transferred me almost all payment that was due for the project (payments are done within freelancer.com payment management system and then can potentially be withdrawn to freelancer's bank account or paypal account).

When i attempted to withdraw the money from freelancer account i found that withdrawal did not complete, so i contacted freelancer.com support staff to find out that employer's account has been put on verification and that i cannot complete the money withdrawal from my account until that verification is complete.

I have then contacted the employer to identify what's going on and was presented with evidence that all necessary verification information (passport scan, credit card front and back and proof of address) has been submitted, and has been rejected by freelancer.com staff as passport was not [quote]in english format[/quote].

All further attempts to reason freelancer.com staff were futile and after a while employer's account on the website has been terminated and money from my freelancer's account and from employer's freelancer account vanished (stolen by freelancer.com)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/25/2013 01:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freelancercom/internet/Freelancercom-illegitimate-suspension-of-funds-Internet-1053750. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freelancer.com

I'd like to help!

AUTHOR: Jenna_Freelancer - ()

Hi and1ommy,

I'm Jenna from Freelancer.com. I understand that you had an issue withdrawing your earned funds. I would like to personally assist you on this. Please send me an email to support@freelancer.com containing your username and the project ID. Be reminded to direct the email to me by putting my name on the title so I would easily get it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Jenna

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Small claims court

AUTHOR: Wyatt - ()

Small claims court or a threat of going to claims court may be your best course of action.   Simply tell them you need to be paid for your work, if they refuse tell them you will go to small claims court.

If the dolar amount is signifigant, (10k-1k) you should take them to court.  A plane ticket doesn't cost much, just have all the evidence you can get.   Check with your local small claims court and they should be able to provide you with some information.  Make sure you have a itemized list, doesnt matter what, just itemize the scripts, code and expenses along with the original agreement.

I hope this helps.