Complaint Review: Future Shop

• Updated: Sat, September 05, 2009

• Reported By:Appin Ontario
Future Shop
Wellington Rd London, Ontario Canada

Future Shop Extended Warranty will cost you more than you think!! London Ontario Canada

* : Not nessecarily...

* : Avoid Future Shop Service Plans

I purchased a TomTom GPS system from Future Shop London, ON Wellington Rd location. The extended warranty was offered, which we purchased a 3 yr plan. Within 5 weeks I had to bring the GPS back due to a mount problem.
I asked for this to be fixed however the response was, its cheaper for them to replace the unit. OK they handed me the new unit and then CHARGED me for another warranty. I questioned this, and they stated that because the unit was replaced, the warranty is fulfilled according to their policy.

Its not even 60 days yet and I'm supposed to pay another &75.00?? This is NOT what was presented to me at initial purchase. A three year warranty is three years. I did not recieve the balance of the warranty. They leave you with a choice between NO warranty and or paying again. Roll the dice!! I have now paid an extra $150.00 + the initial purchase price of 199.00.

Somewhere along this line I inherited responsibility for poor workmanship AND seedy salesmanship. I have stopped shopping at both Future Shop and Best Buy, our company has changed chains and I will continue to divert business every chance I get.

Paulina
Appin, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2009 02:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Future-Shop/London-Ontario/Future-Shop-Extended-Warranty-will-cost-you-more-than-you-think-London-Ontario-Canada-469652. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Future Shop

#1

Not nessecarily...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (U.S.A.)

A service plan is NOT an extended warranty. It will run concurrent with the manufacturers warranty and then will usually protect you for the life of the plan as long as there is no abuse and it is stated in the terms.

I will also say (I do not know Future shops but do work for Best Buy) that the manufacturers warranty is usually one year..sometimes more depending..but Best Buy does not honer the manufacturers warranty in many cases..which means the owner of the product will have to send it out to who knows where for who knows how long..kind of inconvenient.

So for many they take the plan for convenience..as well as additional insurance..which is all a protection plan really is. And I see all the time customers come in with a defective 4 or 5 hundred dollar GPS...and are given a brand new one on the spot. Had it been longer then 30 days and the customer did not purchase the service plan..they would have been out hundreds and had to purchase a new unit if it was out of the manufacturers warranty period. So again..for many the plan is inexpensive insurance..but not eveybody takes the plan..we are encourage to offer it of course.

Where I am having an issue understanding is that they are requiring you to purchase a new plan for an item they are replacing under the conditions of the plan..so you may have a different type of plan then I am used to. MAKE SURE you have a copy of your terms from this plan and if you can not find where it says you need to purchase another plan in the event of product replacment..they should be able to transfer the plan pro rated to the replacement item..that seems fair.

#2

Avoid Future Shop Service Plans

AUTHOR: Krusty - (Canada)

Paulina,

FS Employees push their warranties real hard.  The company must offer some incentive or quotas for their employees.  Always turn them down as the products come with thier own warranties.

While I sympathize, when FS told you it was "cheaper for them to replace the unit", you needed to question them "what about me?"

Who cares what is in their best interest, youre the customer.