Complaint Review: Future Shop

• Reported By:Victoria British Columbia
Future Shop
futureshop.ca Nationwide Canada

Future Shop Ripoff, Bait & Switch Tactics Nationwide

At Christmastime a couple years ago, saw a Discman in a Future Shop Flyer for $99 - something like 60% off. I figured it was one of those "loss leaders" that they only have one or two of, so I went first thing in the morning the day the sale started to buy it.

I tried to get a salesperson's attention. There must have been ten guys in the store, but they were all hovering around the folks looking at expensive things like computers and big-screen TV's. You know the type: all hair gel and trendy-looking discount suits, stinking to high heaven like Eternity by Calvin Klein. Ugh.

Anyway, after getting tired of waiting for help, I went searching and found the CD player I wanted on my own, in a glass case. Finally I snagged a salesman and asked him to get me one out of the case, the one that was on sale in the flyer. He told me those particular ones were all sold out, but offered to sell me a different one for $219. Wha??! I said that was beyond my budget, and besides, there were about 10 of the ones on sale in the case.

He insisted that the ones in the case weren't the ones on sale. I had the flyer with me, and I showed it to him, insisting that they were the same ones. Again, he said no, and this time pointed to one that cost $179.

I said, "So, you're not going to sell me this CD Player?!!!" He told me I was being unreasonable thinking I was gonna get a $229 CD-Player for 99 bucks!!

I walked away in utter disbelief and found another salesman. I walked him over to the glass case, read him the numbers on the box (which matched the flyer) and told him I wanted that sale-priced CD player and I wanted it now. He tried to point to another one, but I cut him off with a loud "No!" and he relented. Truthfully, I was so incensed by this time that I probably frightened him a bit, and he quickly got one out of the case for me.

I could see the original salesman glaring at him angrily, like he was in trouble for opening the case!

I have never shopped there again and I never will, just on principle. I believe their sales staff get no salary, just commission, which is why they are like hungry wolves. They don't care for the consumer's needs or wants, only to make a sale so they can eat.

If they didn't stink so badly, I might almost feel sorry for them.

Tessa
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/10/2005 01:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Future-Shop/nationwide/Future-Shop-Ripoff-Bait-Switch-Tactics-Nationwide-167511. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Future Shop