Complaint Review: GE Appliances/ GE Consumer Services/ 1-800-GECares

• Submitted: Sat, October 11, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, October 11, 2008

• Reported By:Oceanside California
GE Appliances/ GE Consumer Services/ 1-800-GECares
Warrantor: General Electric Company. Louisville, Kentucky U.S.A.

GE Appliances/ GE Consumer Services/ 1-800-GECares GE stopped caring about quality products and happy customers Louisville Kentucky

I bought a microwave (model #HVM140DNWW), end of July 2008. Three weeks ago, the microwave keypad stopped working (in September). Called the warranty line and explained what the problem was, not very hard, the keypad is frozen, can't use the microwave, and there is some error code. Since GE does not pay to take a half day off work to fix a new microwave, I needed a Saturday appt. One was available Oct. 11th. I waited, my family and I were inconvinienced but I was patient. Today a GE Tech. comes to my home, looks at the microwave for five minutes, says "Yup it's the keypad", then walks out. After I pick my jaw off the floor, I run after him and ask him, if he has a new keypad in his truck somewhere. He said no, then left.

I called the 1-800-GECares line (what a joke), got a very nasty operator on the phone, who tells me that there is nothing she can do. I told her that she needed to get someone over here today and fix my microwave, as it's just barely two months old and hasn't even worked in the last three weeks, now I have to wait another week, maybe even more to have it fixed. She then blamed the Tech. saying that Techs. do not pre order parts until they are sure what is wrong, I don't know how "keypad is broken and frozen" wasn't clear enough. I'm no expert but I think they should have been prepared if only a little bit. I asked for a Supervisor...

15 minutes later (on hold), a Floor Supervisor named Laquinta comes on and says that she understands my frustration but can't really do much except call the Tech. and see when he will return. I asked her when and who will call me back. She said it will either be Consumer Services or the Tech. but doesn't know when I will get that call.

So here I am, microwave not working, just bought it in July (end of July), haven't been able to use it for three weeks, not even sure if anyone is going to call me back, or when I will have it fixed. All this on a promised one year warranty. I remember my parents owning our first microwave for 20 years, GE used to stand for quality, not anymore...what happened to that company?

On a related topic...Three years ago, I bought a Maytag dishwasher, had problems with the keypad, and the same scenario with the Tech. Guess what I recently found out? Maytag was bought out by GE. Surprise, surprise. I am never going to purchase GE or GE owned products again. I am also going to post this complaint on every consumer site I can. However, I will wait a bit more...maybe I will be lucky and actually get someone here to fix it. I hope that someone reads this and save themselves three hundred dollars. I am an inconvinienced, unhappy consumer. Thanks GE.

Anonymous
Oceanside, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2008 10:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GE-Appliances-GE-Consumer-Services-1-800-GECares/Louisville-Kentucky-40225/GE-Appliances-GE-Consumer-Services-1-800-GECares-GE-stopped-caring-about-quality-product-380359. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GE Appliances/ GE Consumer Services/ 1-800-GECares