Complaint Review: GE Capital / Discount Tire

• Submitted: Sat, October 06, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, October 06, 2012

• Reported By: Rick — Grand Prairie Texas United States of America
GE Capital / Discount Tire

GE Capital / Discount Tire Sold me tire insurance then reported me to credit bureaus for being over the credit limit gogecapital.com/en/consumer-crInternet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Check Your Reciept

*Author of original report: Check your facts

*Consumer Comment: Sorry, but the ONLY one responsible here is YOU!

I needed new tires for my SUV so I priced them online at Discount Tire for about $1600.  A lot of money to lay out at once so I applied for their credit card. It was approved but only for $1000. So, when I purchased the tires, I applied the $1000 of my new credit line and paid the rest by debit card.  The salesman talked me into buying about $250 worth of tire insurance, which evidently he applied to the credit card, putting me over my limit.

He never mentioned it would put me over the limit or did he ask for additional money, which I would have paid.

So, before receiving my first bill, I got an alert from a credit monitoring service I subscribe to. Checking the alert, it showed me that GE Capital, who handles credit for Discount Tire credit cards, had reported me as "derogatory" to credit bureaus because I was over my limit.  I immediately called GE Capital and got some lady who was not sympathetic to my situation at all.  She just said they had to do it that way and there was nothing she could do.

I imagine reporting me to the credit bureau as derogatory was probably an automated response based on some ill-defined business rule coded into their software system, but to not even try to address my issue by correcting thi wrong is inexcusable.

Now, I have a bad mark on my credit report for 7 years all because GE Capital doesn't care about their customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2012 10:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GE-Capital-Discount-Tire/internet/GE-Capital-Discount-Tire-Sold-me-tire-insurance-then-reported-me-to-credit-bureaus-for-951674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GE Capital / Discount Tire

Check Your Reciept

AUTHOR: Allen - ()

I can tell you for a fact that if you were charged $1250 including the insurance for your tires to your credit card that it would be itemized on the receipt.  If you paid with multiple forms of payment you would have $1250 listed as your Car Care 1 (GE Credit Card Charge) and the rest in cash or whatever.  It is YOUR responsibility to review your receipt.  If he made a mistake, you could have corrected it right there before it even posted to your credit card, since you knew the limit was $1,000 and not $1250.

Check your facts

AUTHOR: Rick - (United States of America)

You obvisously don't know what you're talking about.  The salesman never informed me that the additional money I paid didn't cover the tire insurance. As I stated in my original post, if he had told me the correct amount I should have paid, I would have done so.  I was not informed the additional monies I was told to pay did not cover the insurance and would put me over the limit.  Do you get it now or do I need to draw you a diagram?

Sorry, but the ONLY one responsible here is YOU!

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

YOU knew your credit limit and STILL okayed the additional charge.

I don't suppose the salesman held a gun to your head to purchase the warranty, did he?

If you keep blaming others, this will keep happening to you.