Complaint Review: GEICO DIRECT

• Submitted: Fri, August 20, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, August 18, 2009

• Reported By:Fort Valley Georgia
GEICO DIRECT
One Geico Center Macon, Georgia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 478-744-5000
  • Web:
  • Category: Employers

GEICO DIRECT - Geico - Gecko - Government Employees Insurance Companies UNSCRUPULOUS EMPLOYEE FIRING AFTER WORKERS COMP CLAIM AND WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU "THE CONSUMER" Macon Georgia

* : Horrible What They Did To You

*Consumer Comment: Just a few comments

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Workers Comp

*Consumer Comment: Thankful I left after only 2 months...

*Consumer Comment: I wonder

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: getting hurt!

*Consumer Suggestion: TO THE INJURED.

*Consumer Comment: Confused, How are all you people getting hurt on the job at Geico?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Fellow Ex-GEICO Employees...

*UPDATE Employee: workers comp

*UPDATE Employee: Worker's Comp vs Sickness

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Unfortunately agree with Theresa comments

*UPDATE Employee: Amazing

*UPDATE Employee: Sounds like sour grapes to me

*UPDATE Employee: Confidentiality

UNSCRUPULOUS FIRING? : Did you get fired AFTER an On-The-Job injury at GEICO?? WE Need to know, something Can be done about it.

Now if you work or worked for GEICO, I feel for you, your time Is coming. I gave it my all, until I fell and was injured, couldn't type anymore, so they Fired me. I had to have surgery, and That didn't fix my problem. So I'm left maimed with no more insurance, and so depressed, I've attempted suicide twice already. Only hope now is praying for a miracle or disability. Lost My home and car, and perfect credit when I was fired.

I even had to put 3 longtime Friends (my animals to sleep, after ark/harps couldn't find a home for them. If GEICO fired you after your injury, it is very frowned upon, and we need only 10 people to file a suit against them for this. Just reply in here. I have a wonderful atty., that is so very compassionate, and he already has 2 others, so we need 8 more. I heard of a security guard that was fired after he fell as well, but don't know his name. Believe it or not it isn't Against the law to Fire someone after an injury, unless its a proven practice of the company. The Law does Frown upon it. So there is retaliation for it if enough people come forward.

In response to the person that loves working for GEICO because they pay better, Well I got news for you, you're only paid about Half of what other Insurance companies in the area pay. Take that to the bank, because GEICO sure does.

If Mr. Warren Buffet Knew what his upper management do to their employees, how they treat their employees, the service and sales and claims reps, he would really do a Major overhaul of the management in region 3. They fire supervisors for sleeping with counselors, and not them selves for sleeping with their secretaries. They cover up unfair demotions, because someone didn't kiss VC's Butt. And she got a slap on the wrist, temporarily, due to the info she had on Upper management. Kiss Butt Here, if you work here. And if you blow the whistle , (beware) You cannot TRUST Employee relations, You are NOT protected if you go to them with a problem.

WHAT THEY DON"T TELL YOU:
I was an employee at Geico in Macon, GA for 3 years. I was one of the TOP rated employees in customer service, and Most of my policyholders requested Me by name. As I really cared about their individual situations. I Loved talking to them, and it made me feel great to resolve any issues that arose with their policies, on a 1st call resolution basis, so when they changed their policies, most requested me to assist them. You CAN do this you know, just ask for their supervisors extension, or have the service counselor to send them and email, or GO find them, if they are on the same shift.

Also, if you put less than 7,500 mi a yr. on a Car, (most people don't really know how much they drive, because it varies) You save a lot if you are not GC (Geico Casualty or High Risk ). GG Preferred policy holders and GI Indemnity policy holders could save a bunch by letting them know you drive that car for pleasure, or you carpool with less than 7500 mi annually. Also, when getting the very first quote for a policy, tell them you don't like giving your SS# over the phone (cordless) and they cannot check your credit. After having a policy for a while, NEVER call them to tell them you got a ticket(EVER). Let them find out on their own, They never run an MVR on your policy unless something makes them suspicious (ex.: a claim) Because it costs too much.

Occupation gives you Preferred status too, if you are a DR or LAWYER, ANY MASTERS DEGREE, Gets you preferred, along with good driving record. The above employee was correct in that if you are a Laborer, or Waitress or Bartender, gets you High risk, Most times. Accountants rated well too. Except for Michigan Policyholders (Their Rates Are Always Too High)

Theresa
WARNER ROBINS, Georgia

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on GEICO Insurance

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2004 12:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GEICO-DIRECT/Macon-Georgia-31295/GEICO-DIRECT-Geico-Gecko-Government-Employees-Insurance-Companies-UNSCRUPULOUS-EMPLO-104623. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GEICO DIRECT

#1

Horrible What They Did To You

AUTHOR: Ex-employee - (USA)

GEICO is an evil company both in how they handle their claims and how they treat their employees.

Just a few comments

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

Carm wrote - "All in all, I am not at all surprised to read these reports. I think that the employees who think this is such a wonderful place should take heed. You don't become the 2nd richest person in the world by being a nice guy!"

You also don't become rich by firing good employees.

You were at GEICO two months and you think you know how the business is ran?

You also wrote, "I interviewed last fall for a position at GEICO. It was the usual long tedious interview procedure as if you were being hired for the FBI or something."

You're right, why would a company want put you through that. Why shouldn't they just hire you and then when you can't get the insurance licenses you need to perform the job and they spend on the money applying for your licenses and training you, then they can fire you.

That's real smart.

Carm write - "There was a young man who did, he was a minority person, and they went crazy trying to get him to pass... he took it 4 times."

What a horrible company. How could they help a minority person. Time to take my business else where. Are you trying to say they wouldn't have helped you if you need it?

Carm wrote - "Again, I am female, I taught for 17 years and slightly over 50."

Good job putting information in your post that is not related to anything.

Carm - "That had everything to do with the fact that I had new source calls from very young drivers and very old drivers."

Did they transfer you these calls on purpose, or are the calls random?

Carm - "I sold over 50% of my all source calls. According to them I had only 3 of 7 A calls. When they went over those calls with me I wasn't missing BIG things... but they would find little things to pick on. Then my average handling time was poor... a direct result of those supervisors keeping me on 3 translation calls for over an hour each. Then there was even a situation where a lady had mailed in a check to another office and the supervisor investigated this on MY time for over an hour. In any event lest I sound defensive to the people who are PRO-GEICO, I was then told that my numbers were poor and I had one week to bring them up or I was subject to disciplinary action or termination. I was still in training... what did they want?"

Probably someone who stops making excuses.

You resigned instead of trying.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Workers Comp

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

I worked for Geico for 12 years in Woodbury Customer Service. I was in a auto accidenst and was out for 3 months with a knee injusry. During that time my supervisor would keep me up to date on issues by mailing me all the memos each week and I was called periodically by her to see how I was doing. When I came back after surgery I went part time. Then a few years later when we moved from one floor to another I was having health problems blacking out at my desk and napping during breaks and lunch. The new floor had been where the files were kept previously. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). My doctor took me out of work for a month because of it. Again They kept in contact with me until I came back. They did treat me good those times but them fired me 2 1/2 years ago with accusations I won't go into that were untrue. But THe good times working there were good.

Thankful I left after only 2 months...

AUTHOR: Carm - (U.S.A.)

First let me express my heartfelt sympathy to those who have been fired by GEICO and the hardships you have experienced. This has been my experience with them and why I left-resigned after only 2 months... There is no integrity in this company and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Even with a brief glimpse into their operation I walked away totally disgusted! I say this as someone who has worked in two other professional fields... for a total of 34 years.

I interviewed last fall for a position at GEICO. It was the usual long tedious interview procedure as if you were being hired for the FBI or something. I had my auto insurance with them for 8 years or so... since my husband and I were government workers- public school teachers, we both hold masters degrees, had perfect credit, good driving records, safe cars etc, in our 40's and 50's at the time... We did get a favorable rate. We had no problems with them as customers.

I started with them in sales after the new year 2006 and the first two days were a big psych you up session... par for the course in corporate America I thought. A lot of what they said seemed too good to be true... My fellow trainees said it seemed like so much mind-control, Stepfordish, and cultish...

The next step was to cram what should have been an entire semester long course to obtain our personal lines insurance agent's license. They did it in 8 days! The teacher was great... she admitted that she could only teach us as much as we would need to pass the exam...approximately 85% of the material. 70% was passing. I had no problem with the classroom tests or the state exam. There was a young man who did, he was a minority person, and they went crazy trying to get him to pass... he took it 4 times.

The next portion of our training was supposed to be a 5-6 week sales training class. However, we were advised that it would be done in 13 days... as they felt we could better learn by doing on the sales floor...interacting with live customers with only 1 month with the company. I know someone with State Farm who had 9 months of training. We were licensed by then. Interspursed between the training was more RAH RAH sessions with how much we could make in BONUS. When we started BONUS was calculated after the first 75 sales, by the time we hit the sales floor it was after 105 sales... We had one of their top sales people come into that class and take live calls. He lost all 3 calls he took! 0% productivity! We took 2 written tests-we were FED the answers the to final exam not once but twice by the instructor... As a teacher of many years that went against everything I believe in!

Upon hitting the sales floor in early February we had very little experience with reconciling the Motor Vehicles and CLUE reports, using emulators, so our supervisor who were all in training themselves as supers... many times just pushed us aside and did it for us. I guess we were supposed to learn everything my osmosis! The supervisors who were mostly all young enough to be my children seemed very impatient with any mistakes. They all had 2 or less years with the company. They rotated these people around and one would say do this... the next would say to that. Don't do this... YES do that! Very confusing. We were just not properly trained.

Three weeks into the process I got the feeling that they were targeting me as someone who was NOT going to work out. Again, I am female, I taught for 17 years and slightly over 50. I had a supervisor who was not in training... call me over to go over my numbers... I was on the floor less than 3 weeks with abbreviated training. I was doing what I was told to do by others. My productivity was poor... That had everything to do with the fact that I had new source calls from very young drivers and very old drivers. I sold over 50% of my all source calls. According to them I had only 3 of 7 A calls. When they went over those calls with me I wasn't missing BIG things... but they would find little things to pick on. Then my average handling time was poor... a direct result of those supervisors keeping me on 3 translation calls for over an hour each. Then there was even a situation where a lady had mailed in a check to another office and the supervisor investigated this on MY time for over an hour. In any event lest I sound defensive to the people who are PRO-GEICO, I was then told that my numbers were poor and I had one week to bring them up or I was subject to disciplinary action or termination. I was still in training... what did they want?

I completely understand instructional design and these people were NOT teachers. This was a CRASH course in being an insurance salesperson. I had had enough. I resigned the day after the meeting. GEICO prides itself on being the low-cost provider, by cutting corners in training personnel is just not fair to the trainee or the customer.

Here is the icing on the cake: I had my health benefits for me and my husband through GEICO. I specifically told the supervisor when I left that I needed to COBRA that. I was told I would be contacted by the company who handles that for them. By the time I was contacted by that company I didn't have health insurance for 3 whole weeks... putting me into a lapse of insurance! I had even tried calling the place and they said I was still listed as an active employee. They yanked the coverages the day I left... with no ability for me to see to it that I was covered! When I called HR to discuss this she seemed clueless... OH WELL!

I wonder

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I wonder if your time at home on your computer had anything to do with the problems as well.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

getting hurt!

AUTHOR: Neil - (U.S.A.)

how they get hurt me included is they make you sit 8 hours if you get up they time you while you go to the bathroom they want you to sit for 8 hours and take calls, alot of back problems and carpel tunnel and i mean alot!

i was out too for carpel tunnel, they started a file on me and terminated me 6 days before profit sharing so yes i too am going to sue them for my benifits and sue them for a hardship they created, i used to love the company and the bigger they got the worse they became!

good luck too all out there!

#7 Consumer Suggestion

TO THE INJURED.

AUTHOR: Angie - (U.S.A.)

I FEEL SO SORRY FOR ALL OF YOU. SO SAD THAT YOU PUT IN SO MANY YEARS WITH SUCH A DEGRADING COMPANY AS GEICO.

I DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY BUT I DID HAVE INSURANCE THROUGH THEM FOR 18 YEARS. OK. LET ME UNDERSTAND THIS, THEY TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES THE SAME WAY THEY TREAT THERE CLIENTS?? IT'S HARD TO BELEIVE.

HAS ANYONE OF THE INJURED EVER CONTACTED THE GOVERMENT (THE DEPT OF WORKERMAN'S COMP.,INS. DEPT.????) MONICA, HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF CALLING THE STATE ATTORNEY'S OFFICE,YOU CAN PUT IN A COMPLAINT AND HAVE GEICO INVESTIGATED WITHOUT GIVING YOUR NAME. BY THE WAY MONICA, I THINK YOU WILL GET FIRED IF YOU DO IT ANY OTHER WAY. I COULD'NT LIVE WITH MYSELF IF I WAS ASKED TO DO WHAT YOU WERE ASKED TO DO.

AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL WORKING WITH GEICO AFTER AN INJURY, MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOU DID SOME GOOD OLD FASHION ASS..KISSING.

Confused, How are all you people getting hurt on the job at Geico?

AUTHOR: Tracy - (U.S.A.)

I assume to preform your job you need a chair, a telephone, and a computer. That's not heavy lifting or anything. How did you get hurt that you required so much time off from work and surgeries? Please let me know I am really curious!

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Fellow Ex-GEICO Employees...

AUTHOR: Monica - (U.S.A.)

I just read the unfortunate incidents that happened to you. I was also an employee, Sales, for approx 2 years, Woodbury and my Supervisor had me fired because I stood up to her and she also had fellow Sups, Managers and Departments keeping a close eye on me to mark my file. How convenient that I was fired 27 days before the Profit Sharing checks were to be given out and now I am proceeding to get the Profit Sharing that is owed to me as well as my unemployment benefits that they think I am not going to get. I played a big part as well as all other employees at Geico in the profit that Geico made in 2004. Any info, please share it below.

workers comp

AUTHOR: Scarlet - (U.S.A.)

I am a Supervisor at Geico Direct in Macon, GA. I have an associate in my section who has injuries and filed a workers comp claim. My Department Manager called me into his/her office and told me to keep a close eye on this associate and document any and all errors/mistakes this associate makes. My Manager stated "_____ is now a liability to our company and we need to have a file on this person that will lead to termination".

I am not going to do this and am not sure how to handle this situation without being terminated myself. If I go above my Manager's head - how do I know that person was not the one that issued the order. If I go to Human Resources, will that put my job in jeopardy too?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I have always loved Geico and my job. I never had a problem with them until now. I know one bad apple does not mean the whole company is bad - but that "bad apple" holds my associates and my career in his/her hands.

HELP!!! What would any of you do in my situation?

Also, sounds like this is a Macon and Lakeland issue only? Why is that?

Worker's Comp vs Sickness

AUTHOR: JC - (U.S.A.)

I am responding to Mary's comments. I was injured while working and it was a worker's comp case. It took six months for the injuries to heal sufficiently for me to be back at work. I was not fired, I was not harassed, I was treated with respect and dignity by all I had contact with at GEICO during this time off work. When I was able, I stepped right back in to the same position I was in when I left. They hired temporary staff to replace me during my recovery.

It surprises me a bit that some on here are complaining and claiming to be among the top producers for GEICO. If this were the actual case, I have my doubts that you would have been terminated. In some cases, it is not worth leaving your job open for you while you recover because some just are not as good as what they think they are. I do not consider myself to be among the best at GEICO with the work I do but GEICO considered me a good worker who was making every effort to minimize the impact of me being off work during this time. I helped train the person who was replacing me to the extent I could and, when called for information, I passed on everything I possibly could to those in need of the information.

Maybe it's just the Warner Robbins office where this happens but I can tell you for a fact that it is NOT something that is company-wide. Or is it possible that Mary and the first person posting the complaint are the same person ?

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Unfortunately agree with Theresa comments

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

I was also terminated from GEICO after filing a workers comp claim.

I worked for GEICO for 8 years and was not only the TOP associate in my section EVERY month and had numerous complimentary calls, I was a Supervisor with them for 5 years. I was also the TOP rated Supervisor and the only my Manager always came to when a project was needed to be done. I loved working there and was devastated when this happened. Took up for GEICO when others complained about them. Learned the hard way.
I have the names of 6 others this has happened too also. Unfortunately, we are not the only 2.
Being sick and missing work is completely different from filing workers comp - GEICO is not liable for your medical bills then.

I had to hire an attorney and sue them to get medical treatment. I have had 5 surgeries that were caused from injuries sustained while I worked there.

Even when I finally got medical treatment, it was a battel getting my workers comp benefits. My weekly checks were always "late", it took a whole year before any of my prescriptions were covered, and I am still waiting for my mileage reimbursement check to arrive (a year later)

Due to all these complications and more, my attorney and I have filed a hearing with the workers comp judge to bring up these issues.

I just wanted to tell other rebuttal employees to please research workers comp termination issues before responding to this site. Most of the comments are based on wrong information.

Amazing

AUTHOR: Gilbert - (U.S.A.)

You were so good, but have no integrity at all. GEICO works with a lot of people. if you couldn't type they most likly would have offered you a job doing something else, did they?

Only hope now is praying for a miracle or disability? That speaks for itself.

You had time to find a lawyer but no time to find a home for your pets.

By your post it looks like GEICO did a good thing.

Sounds like sour grapes to me

AUTHOR: JC - (U.S.A.)

I have been with GEICO for over 22 years. Never have I had a problem with their policies on injuries. I suffered an injury that kept me out of work for over six months and there was no problem at all with taking that much time off work for the injury.

I am not sure what your motivation is for posting this but I am guessing that you were not one of the top rated sales associates and that you were probably a problem child for the company, thus the termination.

Good luck finding another job though. I wish you well in your recovery and your future employment with another company.

Confidentiality

AUTHOR: Rebecca - (U.S.A.)

I have also worked for this company for 2+ years. I have never had any problems. If I was ill or unable to come to work, I was always told not to worry about missing time, just make sure I was taking care of myself.
Also, I (and every other employee) had to sign a confidentiality agreement and I am sure you did as well. What did your lawyer say about you breaking that by telling people how we underwrite our policies? And by telling them to say those things if they aren't true, they are committing fraud and making everyone else's rates higher!