Complaint Review: GEICO

• Updated: Fri, February 03, 2012

• Reported By: Formula29 — New York New York United States of America
GEICO
Internet, New York United States of America

GEICO Repairing accident damage with after market, rebuilt, and used parts, not OEM parts Internet, New York

*Consumer Comment: Now I doubt you.

*Consumer Comment: FORMULA29, DID YOU SEND MR. WARREN BUFFETT A COPY OF YOUR.......

*Author of original report: Now THAT is funny !

*Consumer Suggestion: Insurance Policy

*Consumer Comment: Good to know

*Consumer Comment: They assured you?

*Consumer Comment: Forget it guys.

*Author of original report: The Geico Saga... Continued:

*Consumer Comment: Now you got me confused

*Consumer Comment: INSURANCE POEM.......

*Author of original report: But seriously, back to auto insurance...

*Author of original report: Rolex...

*Consumer Comment: Your Rolex Comparison it Interesting

*Consumer Comment: FORMULA29, MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEND MR. BUFFETT A COPY OF YOUR RIPOFF REPORT......

*Consumer Comment: GEICO

*Consumer Comment: No

*Consumer Comment: FORMULA29, MAYBE USING CHEAPER PARTS EXPLAINS WHY WARREN BUFFETT IS A BILLIONAIRE........

*Author of original report: OK, I GIVE UP, YOU ARE ALL HAPPY WITH THE WAY IT IS...

*Consumer Comment: Additional comments

*Consumer Comment: Yes..Ignorance!

*Consumer Comment: Not so Fast

*Author of original report: Ignorance? No, not really, just a ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Your Ignorance Does Not Mean You Have Been Ripped Off

I was shocked and dismayed to find out that GEICO repaired and replaced damaged componenets in my car with AFTER MARKET, "CRASH PARTS" (salvaged junk yard parts), and REBUILT PARTS.
Most consumers don't know this, but as I have found out, even after the car was brought to the original Honda dealership where the car was purchased, that the Geico Adjustor used his computer to locate the parts at the cheapest price, including salvage parts and after market parts made in China. !!!
AND ACCORDING TO GEICO, IT'S COMMON PRACTICE AND PERFECTLY LEGAL !!!
As a consumer, i am not informed of this nor was I given a choice in the matter, and the car, which was once original and dealer serviced is now full of non original parts, which devalues the vehicle considerably at the very least. Now that's a RIPOFF !

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2012 09:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GEICO/Internet-New-York-/GEICO-Repairing-accident-damage-with-after-market-rebuilt-and-used-parts-not-OEM-parts-827027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GEICO

Now I doubt you.

AUTHOR: Graham1954 - (United States of America)

I too am insured with Geico and the only time I had a problem was when after an accident the claims adjuster rang me to ask if I wanted them to choose the body shop or I wanted to use my own!  This is openly shown by Geico on their web page where it states you can choose your own body shop if that's what you want.

So it looks to me like you just said "fix it" and didn't worry about anything until after you got the car back.

FORMULA29, DID YOU SEND MR. WARREN BUFFETT A COPY OF YOUR.......

Ripoff Report?

***POLITICIAN ALERT: Feel free to type in the following at this site and read the Ripoff Reports from people all over America for important information-

OBAMA
POLITICIAN
US GOVERNMENT

Now THAT is funny !

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

Thanks for the chuckles reading your comment... We can all use a bit more voices of reason.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Insurance Policy

AUTHOR: Giorgian - ( )

think it all depends on what your insurance policy is providing, but in general the insurance company is stating in the policy that it will repair the insured vehicle with "like parts" meaning used, aftermarket, or repaired and reconditioned. Insurance company reasoning: "What would be the reason to replace a fender to a 5 years car with a brand new part? The car is is 5 years old, except the fender".

Good to know

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

I've been with Geico for decades and never knew they had the non-OEM option. Over most of that time, I drove old crap-boxes anyway, so it wouldn't have much mattered what they replaced anything with. But thanks for this report, at least I go forward knowing what's up.

I probably wouldn't leave Geico anyway. Too set in my ways and lazy to jump ship. Maybe Carnival Cruises should hire me as a skipper. Be funny if Geico insured their ships. You'd have Geico parts purchasers diving into the deep to scavenge other wrecks for parts.

In response to Rick's experience: Maybe they paid you without a hassle for OEM replacements because they knew they'd be getting it back from whoever insured the bus, assuming the bus hit you and not vise versa.

They assured you?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

One of your original "complaints" is that the "fine print" about the parts they replace was on page 23 written in 'lawyer lingo'.  So when you read the Hartford policy I guess it was on page 1 written in plain English right?  Of course if that was the case why did you need to call them for "clarification"

Now of course I don't want you to post the entire text of your policy.  Just saying that if you needed "clarification" it is obviously not straight forward.  So I just hope that the person who "assured" you was right and not just taking a guess.

Keep in mind that I don't use either company for insurance.  I am just aware that Insurance Companies "lie and die" on their fine print so if this is that important to you, you better be 100% sure that you are getting what you think.

Forget it guys.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

This is one of those people that think they're always right.  By the way, I have a Rolex sitting in my driveway that I would gladly trade for a Timex.

The Geico Saga... Continued:

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

Sorry for not being clear on this; the car insured by Geico is my young son's car, which he insured himself, while we (my wife and I ) are insured with the Hartford. He hit a pothole that destroyed the undercarriage frame on his car, along with the front rims and tires, steering components and other stuff under the car ($4700 total damage). Following the comments here, I did read all the fine print and called the Hartford for clarification, and they assured me that their policy allows me repairs at a dealership or shop of my choice with original, new, replacement parts, and it's entirely up to me, unlike Geico (at least in the New York region) which makes the choice ( or NO choice) for the insured. I hope this makes it clearer now, and thanks for the lively comments.

Now you got me confused

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

First off I never said that I was happy with how it is, I was just explaining how it is.  But I also said if you are not happy then make sure that the policy you have allows for replacement of parts that you approve of.

Which brings up some very interesting questions.  Why do you have 3 cars insured with AARP/The Hartford and 1 car insured with GEICO?  Especially if you think The Hartford is the best?

Also, you say to the "best of your knowledge" they are the best.  Okay does this knowledge include reading all of their "fine print" to see if they will replace parts with OEM parts?

Since you like comparisons that is like saying you want to stay at a 5-Star Resort for 3 nights, but then just for fun you want to stay at a 2-Star Motel for a night.  You then complain about the 2-Star not being as good as the 5-Star and somehow you think you are getting Ripped Off.

INSURANCE POEM.......

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

is available at this website.

Just type in 502469 at this site and it appears as 'Consumer Comment #26' at Ripoff Report #502469.

***NATIONWIDE MORTGAGE FRAUD ALERT: Make sure to type in 481508 at this site and read St. Clair's Ripoff Report for valuable information if you have a mortgage in the USA.

But seriously, back to auto insurance...

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

The car in my complaint is insured with Geico in New York. My other three cars are insured with the AARP's program for drivers over 55, and they use The Hartford Insurance Company. The premiums and service are fantastic, and to my knowledge the best in the business. I highly recomend to anyone over 55 to check their rates and policies.

Rolex...

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

Actually, Rolex made it difficult for non Rolex dealers to obtain genuine parts. I get my parts directly from Rolex without difficulty at all. Also; you can crack your crystal a week after you purchase the watch, not necesseraly after your warranty expired... And lastly, 95% of watchmakers and Jewelers are not qualified to be described as such. In my 36 years in the business, I came across VERY few really good watchmakers, and even fewer good Jewelers. But then again, we learn to accept things as they are and as they are given... And must rad ALL THE FINE PRINT, which was put there to avoid compensation and putting things right in the first place. it is truly a different world today. Thanks for your comment.

Your Rolex Comparison it Interesting

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Your Rolex comparison is interesting, because 95% of watchmakers are forced to use aftermarket parts when repairing Rolex watches, because Rolex doesn't stock enough parts for production watches, and secondly they have changed their parts policy radically.

Secondly, as far as the warranty - by the time your Rolex needs a repair or servicing, the warranty is up.

You're a funny kind of guy!

- A Watchmaker

FORMULA29, MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEND MR. BUFFETT A COPY OF YOUR RIPOFF REPORT......

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

so he knows what's going on at some of the Geico Insurance centers in the USA, right?

Simply 'Google' this- BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY, and go to the related sites and get the physical mailing address and the email address and send a copy of your Ripoff Report to Mr. Buffett right away.

Good luck to you.

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE
US GOVERNMENT
POLITICIAN

GEICO

AUTHOR: Rick - (United States of America)

Interesting posts by everyone, on both sides of the fence.  I recently had my BMW clipped by a bus & ended up with about $3,500.00 in damage.  I too carry Geico & when I sat with the adjuster, I was clear that I wanted OEM part replacements.  The adjuster checked my car out in great detail & even found a slight nick on my front tire, so "he" advised that they were going to replace the one tire too. Those tires were only 6 months old, and Continental Tires @ $250.00 each.  I did not even notice the nick, so the fact that Adjuster Chris did, was a good thing for me.  I advised Chris I was taking the BMW to MY Mercedes/BMW mechanic and he agreed that was fine.  Chris called my mechanic and they discussed parts, labor, costs, etc. Chris handed me a check a 1/2 hour later, to bring over to my mechanic.  My mechanic assured me that all the parts Geico paid for were OEM, except for a minor part that they had to find at salvage.  Replaced the front bumper, lights, hood, tire & a lot of other stuff.

My guess is that everything is negotiable and you can tell your insurance adjuster you want OEM parts.  It could also depend on your policy coverage too.  I have -3- auto policies with Geico and the best coverage money can buy, so that can make a difference too.  But I suspect you have to make your preferences known, otherwise, they will low ball you.

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

I don't think anyone said they are necessarily happy with the way it is, just that it IS the way it is.  Two completely different things.

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

because Berkshire Hathaway is the company that owns Geico, correct?

Warren Buffett is the Chairman, President, and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Geico is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, according to information that is available on the web.

Feel free to 'Google' this- WHO OWNS GEICO WIKIPEDIA, and go to that site for additional information.

Good luck to you.

***BUTTHEAD ALERT: Anyone can type in 529757 at this site and go to 'Consumer Comment #25' at Ripoff Report #529757 and read- WARREN BUTTHEAD POEM.

OK, I GIVE UP, YOU ARE ALL HAPPY WITH THE WAY IT IS...

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

Since you all seem to live in an ' Alice in wonderland' world and are happy with the way insurance companies are shafting us all, I will end this by adding the following: We do not have a choice; They will hike the premium regardless of fault ( this accident was with one of NY famous potholes); And finally, remember, it's all about corporate greed. Thank you, And keep feeding the monkey.

Additional comments

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You keep referring to when YOU go to the dealer and pay for service you get original parts, or when you have a Rolex you go and pay to have the choice of the crystal you want to get replaced.  That is different because YOU are choosing to pay that.  But you have an insurance policy, that yes you paid for, but you paid for a policy that specified how THEY would "fix" your car.  If you don't like it then there are a couple of very simple solutions you can take.

1)Get your insurance company to stipulate in their policy that they will ONLY use the parts you approve, of course in that case expect a bit of a "sticker shock" when they increase your premium.

2)Pay for the repairs for yourself.

The fact that it is 'common practice' by insurance companies and may even be 'spelled out' ( more likely 'buried in small print lawyer lingo') in the 23 pages of you policy, does NOT make it right or fair to the consumer.
- Insurance policies are long, and there is a reason they are long.  They spell out exactly what is and what is not covered.  Just because it is on Page 1 or page 23 does not make it any less important.  They can't put everything on page 1 and I can guarantee you that if this is on page 1, other things will be moved to page 23 and you will have someone else complaining how they didn't put that on the first page.

Yes..Ignorance!

AUTHOR: AP - (United States of America)

If you believe for a second that bringing your car to a dealership entitles you to OEM parts, yes..you are ignorant. Dealerships routinely use A/M parts on any car that is out of warranty. Unless you specify OEM, chances are you are not getting OEM. And, in some cases, A/M parts are BETTER than OEM. Plenty of A/M companies design parts that SOLVE OEM FAILURES! Do you really believe you precious OEM parts aren't made in China too?

As far as autobody is concerned, most customers DO know this. It was YOUR duty (and choice) as a consumer to research this BEFORE buying a policy. I guess ignorance truly is bliss.

Not so Fast

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- Umm..your "original" car also used to be accident free, and if anything is going to devalue the car it would be that fact rather than what parts they use.

You will find that this is standard with just about every insurance policy, and if you actually read your policy you would find out that a)you did give them this right and b)you don't need to be given a choice as to the parts they use.

Now of course if you don't agree with the estimate to get it repaired you can fight them.  But fighting your insurance company to get them to pay you more if you were at fault is probably not going to work.  Because they will just refer you back to what is in your policy.  However, if the other party is at fault you have a better chance to fight their insurance company for additional money to get the car repaired to how you want.

Ignorance? No, not really, just a ripoff

AUTHOR: Formula29 - (United States of America)

When I service my car at the dealership, parts will be replaced with original manufactrurer parts; when I go to the same dealership to have the car repaired under the insurance policy, my expectations should be the same. The insurance companies locate and suppliy after market, rebuilt, and "crash parts (salvage or junk yard) to repair the car at the lowest cost to them. This, contrary to the previous writer, is not 'clearly indicated' in the policy, and most insured consumers are NOT aware of this practice. If you purchased a Rolex watch, and at some point needed to replace the crystal, an after market crystal is about one tenth of the cost, it looks the same, and you may never know the difference, however, unless you were informed and agreed to an aftermarket Chinese crystal, the practice would be fraudulent, the warrantee will be voided, and the watch will not be water tight, not to mention that it will devalue the watch considerably. The same should apply to repairs and replacement of parts in your car. The fact that it is 'common practice' by insurance companies and may even be 'spelled out' ( more likely 'buried in small print lawyer lingo' ) in the 23 pages of you policy, does NOT make it right or fair to the consumer. I'm glad that it made you laugh, and I hope you will continue laughing with every premium payment... Until its time to put in your claim.

Your Ignorance Does Not Mean You Have Been Ripped Off

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Your ignorance doesn't mean you have been ripped off. Thanks for the laugh. EVERY insurance company does this, and this is one of the more clearly spelled out terms in insurance contracts!