Complaint Review: GEORGIA POWER

GEORGIA POWER
241 RALPH MCGILL BLVD ATLANTA, Georgia United States of America

GEORGIA POWER CHARGING FOR SERVICES NOT USE ATLANTA, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: RipOff?

I had requested services to be disconnected at my residence because my house was partially destroyed by a tornado, I have the email with the confirmation # sent on 09/14/2011. On 12/01/2011 I called the company to have my services turned back on and was told that i will be receiving a bill in the amount of $30.00 for the connection fee's which i accepted, but for my surprise I received a bill in the amount of $167.73. They are saying that services were not dicsonected and that i needed to pay for the services that were use. I have proof of disconnect order, i have a letter from GA power saying the left the electricity on as a courtesy (which I never requested) I have talked with a couple of CSR and even a supervisor and nobody seems to be able to give me a solution, they only tell me that I have to pay for the bill.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2011 12:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GEORGIA-POWER/ATLANTA-Georgia-30308/GEORGIA-POWER-CHARGING-FOR-SERVICES-NOT-USE-ATLANTA-Georgia-808201. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GEORGIA POWER

RipOff?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

It is fairly common for Utilities to not actually turn off the electricity when they "disconnect" it.  What they do is generally just remove you from the billing.  This is because there are many cases where a house may be unoccupied such as it is for sale.  So a minimal amount of electricity is still used.  If you were truly not using ANY electricity you should have cut the power off at the Main Circuit Breaker.

It sounds like during the last few months they repaired your house to the point where you have moved back in.  So this brings up an interesting question.  How exactly did they fix it without using any electricity?  Or did it seem totally logical that they were using electricity that as far as you knew was disconnected?