• Report: #320339

• Submitted: Sun, March 23, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, March 23, 2008

• Reported By:Elkhart 46517 Indiana
GMAC Insurance - NAtional General
P.O.Box 1050,Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27102 Nationwide U.S.A.

GMAC Insurance - National General Car dealer ethics on the move. Nationwide

*Author of original report: Tell 'ya what, Robert........

*Consumer Comment: SR22

I just received a statement for the upcoming years premium on one of my vehicles from the subject insurance company. To my utter amazement and profound disgust I now find a $30.00 policy fee charged. I am then told this is a annually recurring fee on all issued policies. I guess GMAC insurance (AKA National General) figures if the car dealers continue to get away charging their doc. fee, why not us. Potential additional charges are also listed as follows: cancellation-$15.00;Non-sufficient ffunds-$10.00;SR22 (form)$25.00; late payment $5.00.
Of the foregoing four charges, I have no problem with any except the $25.00 SR21 filing fee. Thats as big a mindless gouge as the $30.00 policy fee. It was explained to me the SR22 fee and the $30.00 policy fee are to cover the cost of the paperwork generated.
This brings us to the point of PAYING extra fees to cover what should be normal operating procedures involved in executing the policy ALREADY PAID FOR in the policy premium. ! What in hell is this world coming to? This cancer of car dealer unethical gouging seems to be now spreading to unrelated entities.
I have been quite alarmed at the shift of car dealers and big business feeling they have carte blanche to assess superfluous, unethical charges just to boost their bottom line. This latest gouge from GMAC insurance surely out does all previous unethical charges. Pay them yet again to do that for which theyve already been paid? Uhhh.the wave of the future, I guess.

Adolph
Elkhart, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/23/2008 08:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GMAC-Insurance-NAtional-General/nationwide/GMAC-Insurance-National-General-Car-dealer-ethics-on-the-move-Nationwide-320339. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GMAC Insurance - NAtional General

Tell 'ya what, Robert........

AUTHOR: Adolph - (U.S.A.)

If a person in IN. is involved in ANY accident a SR22 form MUST be filed, regardless of who is at fault. A "conviction" is not even an issue! If not, the driver's license is suspended and I think the vehicle registration is affected too.
Certainly "not everyone" is required to file. Just those who are involved in ANY accident, regardless of fault. I have NEVER paid to acquire an SR22 form, most recently when my wife's 2000 Saturn was totaled by a truck coming through a red light. The other driver was charged, we BOTH were obliged to file SR22 forms.
Just because any company providing services can get by legally introducing new charges doesn't automatically make them ethical, or for that matter, assure necessity.
"Cost of doing business"? What? Generating a computer print out in the normal execution of completing contracted services? Businesses ALL have costs which they must bear. That's the very nature of business. Before I closed my business, the logic to which you allude would've meant I could've had a surcharge for composing the customer's invoice. Get real.
As far as shopping around, that won't be necessary. Of the six vehicles I have registered and use, only one was insured with GMAC / National General. My other insurer, on the remaining 5, has no such charges. The policy on which this rant is based, will be cancelled soon upon its anniversary. It will go to the other company, which for now will remain unnamed per POR policy.
"Cost of doing business"? What? Generating a computer print out necessitated in the normal execution of contracted services THAT HAVE BEEN PAID already?
QUOTE:" Or perhaps this bureaucracy is the reason that they have to charge this fee in the first place." Conjecture, Robert! Yeah! That's it! Blame the government on a whim. Now go back to writing your policies, Robert.
QUOTE:I am not saying that these are the reasons.
More self-professed conjecture.

QUOTE: But if you feel that the SR22 and the policy fees are unfair then you are free to shop around. If you can find a better company that does not charge these fees AND has a lower premium you are better off.
D'oh! You don't say! Gee, who ever would think of that? As I previously stated, this is not an issue. I am quite happy with the other insurance company with whom I already have a policy covering 5 other vehicles. This was a learning experience for me. I now know the other company needs my sixth vehicle too.

SR22

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The only time an SR22 is needed to be filed is when the insured needs proof of financial liability. This usually occurs when the person is convicted of specific traffic violations. So this is NOT a fee charged to everyone, only people who are required to have one filed.

As for a possible reason. They do not have "carte blanche" to charge these fees. In every state there is a Insurance Commissioner that oversees the premiums and fees charged by an Insurance company. So you can be sure that this was approved by the State before they did it. It is a cost of business and perhaps because of this bureaucracy created they can't put it into the premiums. Having instead to detail it out separately. Or perhaps this bureaucracy is the reason that they have to charge this fee in the first place.

I am not saying that these are the reasons. But if you feel that the SR22 and the policy fees are unfair then you are free to shop around. If you can find a better company that does not charge these fees AND has a lower premium you are better off.