Complaint Review: GMAC Insurance

• Submitted: Fri, December 24, 2004
  • Updated: Wed, November 23, 2005

• Reported By:Florence South Carolina
GMAC Insurance
One GMAC Insurance Plaza PO BOX 66937 St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A.

GMAC Insurance Ripoff Bait and Switch on Insurance Quote St. Louis Missouri

*Consumer Comment: True Bait & Switch tactics

*Consumer Suggestion: Prior Insurance

*Consumer Comment: insurance quotes

I received a quote from Gmac one week for $326.00 for 6 months for basic auto insurance. Which I still have the original letter they sent me. Then when I had saved up enough to make the intial down payment and called them back approx. a week later. They asked me how much was my original insurance which I told them because I thought I was required too. After that they raised up the insurance Sixty one more dollars saying that they had changed computer systems. Which they were still saving me money from my initial insurance, but it just felt wrong. On a good note all the people I talked were very nice, but some of the times on hold on the phone were very long.

Carl
Florence, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/24/2004 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GMAC-Insurance/St-Louis-Missouri-63166-6937/GMAC-Insurance-Ripoff-Bait-and-Switch-on-Insurance-Quote-St-Louis-Missouri-124318. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GMAC Insurance

True Bait & Switch tactics

AUTHOR: Alert Consumer - ()

GMAC insurance renamed their company to National General Insurance to escape their bad PR

your rebuttle comment that they did a "computer change" is ludicrous = that would not change the data or justify an increase of +20% overnight.  I, too, also recently got insurance from this company and paid my premium for the full year in advance and have an excellent driving record to boot.

Strangely, 1 month after payment ~ GMAC / National insurance sent me a new bill with higher premiums with the exact same coverage on my Declarations Page = with a +26% increase ~ and trying to additionally bill me extra $$$ and GIVING ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for the price hike.  CONSIDER:  my full year payment was already recieved in full, along with all my paperwork, yet they felt like sending a new bill to rip me off even more money ???

This is the classic bait & switch - and if you cancel for their fraudulent practices = they will bill you fordoing so.  Completely unethical

I recieved my insurance from this company through AAA ~ who acts as a middleman.

and yes, I have my original agreement and that it was paid in full / they just chose to amend it less than a month later with a higher fee ?  ~ so file a complaint with the NAIC ~ lawsuit for fraud in your local circuit court.  Don't let corrupt companies get away with theft!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Prior Insurance

AUTHOR: Bill - (U.S.A.)

As the other responder has replied, you obviously were not the victim of "bait & switch" - it just doesn't happen. It sounds like they asked you about your prior insurance, which is a rating factor for many insurance companies. For example - you may have told them that you have prior BI limits of 100/300, and when they checked your prior insurance company, you only had 50/100. This can change the rate for many carriers.

If you went with a direct carrier (not a local agent that deals with commissions), the company cannot arbitrarily change the rate - that simple.

insurance quotes

AUTHOR: Lynn - (U.S.A.)

Your quote is not binding until you actually get the insurance. You are technically not a victim of bait & switch. They did not sell you the policy they initially quoted you b/c you did not buy that day. Rates change & it appears you called back after a rate change. It could also be that you gave slightly different information, ie limits, zip code, etc, that caused it to be different. Also a quote is just that---once the policy is written if they find any mistakes---such as a speeding ticket that you did not reveal then the policy can go up after it is written. Sounds like you should have switched insurance when you got the first quote.