Complaint Review: GOLD'S GYM/ABC FINANCIAL

GOLD'S GYM/ABC FINANCIAL Gold's Gym, ABC Financial Ripoff Annapolis Maryland

*UPDATE Employee: ABC Financial

*Consumer Comment: Contact Arkansas Attorney General

* : Is your goal...

Copy of letter sent to Gold's Gym Annapolis, Gold's Gym International, and ABC Financial.

August 29, 2009

Gold's Gym West Street, Annapolis MD (General Manager)

Any uses of I, Me or My, or any variations thereof, are henceforth references to the sender of this certified mail, Feld "removed."

To the Manager of Gold's Gym at the following location,
     1127 West Street,
     Annapolis MD, 21401
     410-295-0893

This letter serves as official notice that I am canceling my membership in Golds Gym effective upon the date you certify receipt of this letter. Notification of your receipt of this letter will be confirmed by the U.S. Post Office, per your stated policies.  This letter formally notifies you I am ending my membership with Golds Gym effective upon the date you certify receipt of this letter. Further, this letter formally notifies you that I no longer authorize you to deduct membership dues or any other fees or monies from my account effective upon the date you certify receipt of this letter. You do NOT have authorization to access my account in any manner whatsoever as of the date you certify receipt of this letter. Any access of my checking account after the date you have certified receipt of this letter will be viewed as a fraudulent action.

Not only was I told by an employee upon signing a one year (1 year) contract that I would be able to cancel any time with 30 days notice, but I was also told that my membership would immediately, at the end of my year-long contract, transform into a month-to-month contract (which I am unable to verify due to the fact that West Street's employees refuse to let me see a signed copy of my contract).  I have recently done research on this issue, and have found there to be a vast number of customers who have been refused cancellation and whose contracts have been
fraudulently presented.  I have found testimonials that have claimed that not only must membership cancellations be approved by corporate (which is, according to employees at West Street Gold's Gym, not true), but also by the manager of the local Gold's Gym,  This fact is not stated anywhere on the contract or associated paperwork, nor was it presented to me by employees at the local Gold's Gym when asked, point blank, about the cancellation policy.  They assured me (in total non-compliance with the employee who sold me my original contract), that all cancellations must be made through Gold's Gym's accounting department, one ABC Financial.

I was also made aware, through research, that some franchise Gold's Gyms are not held responsible to any organisational entity.  That is to say, there is no "corporate" Gold's Gym through which to formally complain.  That being said, no employee of either the local Gold's Gym nor ABC Financial, will provide me with a local manager to which to talk to.

Due to the vast inconsistencies in policy in both written and verbal areas, I have taken action to protect myself from fraudulent and unfair business practices.

A) Verbal inconsistencies, including but not limited to:
Misrepresentation of Gold's Gym cancellation policy, by both corporate and local offices,
Misrepresentation of Gold's Gym renewal policy, by both corporate and local offices,
Misrepresentation of Gold's Gym membership policy, including but not limited to cancellation, facility use, pricing and corporate contact, by both corporate and local offices,
Misrepresentation of Gold's Gym pricing structure and policy, including but not limited to monthly membership fees, yearly maintenence fees, towel fees, by both corporate and local offices,

and

B) Written inconsistencies, including but not limited to:
Vast variations between contracts, including but not limited to Membership cancellation policies and forms,
Vast variations in corporate contact information, including but not limited to whom cancellation must be approved by and by which standards it is

measured,
Vast variations in the dollar amount required (if at all) to cancel an account,
Vast variations in the amount of time it takes to (if at all) cancel an account, varying from, but not limited to: 30 days, 45 days, two (2) months,
Missing information as to where to send a "Member Cancellation Form," in order to process a potential cancellation,

and

C) Contractual unfairness, including but not limited to:
Unfair and unconventional business practices in the field of cancellation of a membership, including but not limited to 30 days written notice, certified mail requirements,
Unfair contractual requirements, including but not limited to clauses in the contract which effectively prohibit the signee from ever leaving  said contract, including but not limited to: unfair cancellation requirements requiring permanent disability with a doctor's note acceptable to Gold's Gym (with no specifications as to what information said doctor's note must contain), movement more than 25 miles away from any Gold's  Gym location (with no specifications as to which information is required to prove said move),
Unfair contractual charges, including but not limited to: 45 day minimum notice to cancel, wherein Gold's Gym may continue charging signee's account for services not rendered, 30 day minimum after the original 45 day minimum cancel notice, wherein Gold's Gym may continue charging  signee's account for services not rendered, leading to a total of 75 days MINIMUM wherein Gold's Gym continues to collect monies for services not rendered,
Unfair unforseen charges, including but not limited to those at the whim of not only Gold's Gym local office (West Street, Annapolis MD location) and corporate office, Gold's Gym International, but as to those of ABC Financial and a Mr. L. Lamb, as through whom all requests must be made and approved,
Unfair and incomplete contractual clauses, including but not limited to the means and methods by which the signee can be expulsed from a Gold's Gym local location due to actions, behaviours, or attire.

To protect myself from fraudulent and unfair business practices, I am, as of my intent to cancel membership today, 28 August, 2009, henceforth recording all further phone and email communication with Gold's Gym local branch (West Street, Annapolis), Gold's Gym International, and ABC Financial.  Any email communication may be sent through "removed", any phone communication may be held through "removed", and all communication will be noted, with formal introduction of both full names of parties in attendance and a time stamp, for future use.

To further protect myself from fraudulent and unfair business practices by Gold's Gym International, I have contacted my bank and credit card companies and canncelled/changed all accounts connected to Gold's Gym.  Gold's Gym is, as of the date you certify recipt of this letter, prohibited from accessing my account in any manner.  Any further attempts to access my account, and any fees that are levied, will be considered fraudulent business practices, and will be met with legal action.

To further protect myself from unfair business practices by Gold's Gym International, I have contacted the Greater Maryland Better Business Bureau as of 28 August 2009, and formally filed a complaint as to both Gold's Gym International's vast inconsistencies and misinformation, both written and verbal, and Gold's Gym International's contractual unfairness, which I find to be clear evidence of unfair and shady business practices.  For your reference, it is BBB Case #: 36042107.

Any further action on the part of Gold's Gym International that does not result in a certified letter, sent by certified mail, of the cessation of my membership with all contractual obligations fulfilled with an accompanying carbon copy sent through email to "[email protected]", will result in:

A) Further complaint to the Better Business Bureau regarding threating business practices, and
B) Further complaint to the State of Maryland's Attorney General's office regarding threatening and unfair business practices, and
C) Further complaint to a personal lawyer as to Gold's Gym International's business practices, and
D) Further complaint to the Maryland Secretary of State, and
E) Legal action.

A simple internet search on this topic will show all parties concerned the amount of consumers affected by these unfair and downright threatening business practices.  My3cents.com, ripoffreport.com, consumeraffairs.com, and complaints.com are all riddled with reports of consumers with the same issues.  These consumers jump through hoops and are repeatedly charged fees and monies and denied cancellation of their memberships.  I would sincerely like to solve this issue quickly and effectively, but, if favourable action is not taken, and taken quickly, I know a call to the

Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney General's office will resolve this problem.  There will be no second step taken on my end.  If Gold's Gym locally or International, or ABC Financial, is unable or unwilling to respond favourably and in a timely fashion, all further communication will be directed to the Maryland Attorney General's office and metropolitan news media sources.

Having notified the Gold's Gym at 1127 West Street, Annapolis MD, 21401, it should be up to the local manager to ensure that this information proceeds to corporate.  However, as to the vast inconsistency in which Gold's Gym is mired, verbally and contractually, I am sending this via certified mail to both Gold's Gym at 1127 West Street, Annapolis MD, 21401 and Gold's Gym International, 125 E. John Carpenter FWY, Suite 1300, Irving, TX 75062.

I am also sending this information via email to the Gold's Gym on West Street at "[email protected]", Gold's Gym International, at, for lack of a direct email, "[email protected]", and ABC Financial, "[email protected]".

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/28/2009 09:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GOLDS-GYMABC-FINANCIAL/Annapolis-Maryland-/GOLDS-GYMABC-FINANCIAL-Golds-Gym-ABC-Financial-Ripoff-Annapolis-Maryland-486870. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GOLD'S GYM/ABC FINANCIAL

ABC Financial

AUTHOR: stephanie@abc - (United States of America)

Hello,
We regret to hear your recent experience with ABC Financial Services and Boom Fitness was not a satisfactory one. I would like the opportunity to review your account and see that proper action has been taken. We strive to address all consumer feedback, positive or negative, and want to make your situation was handled properly.

I was not able to locate your membership with the information provided in this post, however, should you have additional comments you would care to discuss, please email me at Stephanie.cook @abcfinancial.com.
Stephanie Cook
Data Research Analyst
ABC Financial Services, Inc.

Contact Arkansas Attorney General

AUTHOR: aam - (United States of America)

I belonged to Boom Fitness in New York, for which ABC Financial serves as the third party billing service. I moved from New York to Los Angeles and followed ABC Financial's strict guidelines for canceling my membership. I send them a formal letter as well as a copy of my new lease and a post office change of address form.

The next month I noticed I was still being billed for my membership. I contacted ABC Financial and asked why. They told me that they couldn't accept the post office change of address form because it was an online version and not the mailed version. I informed them that I changed my address online and that was the confirmation form the post office sent me. I then asked them what address they had on file as my current address. They recited my LA address back to me. They argued that I had sent them an order form. I called the post office and they directed me right back to the original website and email I had sent.

I went back and forth with them on this for months. I had my credit card company block any further charges from them. I then started receiving phone calls from an automated service twice a day threatening to turn my account over to a collection agency.

Eventually I contacted the Attorney Generals office of Arkansas and filed a formal complaint against ABC Financial. After doing this ABC Financial finally canceled my membership, and the Attorney General's office has been very efficient and attentive with my complaint. I would strongly recommend anyone who has had problems with ABC financial to do the same. If they receive enough complaints they will be forced to take further action against ABC Financial. The link to the Attorney General's office is below:

#3

Is your goal...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

To try and throw everything but the kitchen sink at them and hope that something sticks.  Because this report is like Cotton Candy 95% air-5% substance.

If that is the case I have news for you.  You have to treat Gyms just like you do car salesman.  If their lips are moving they are probably lying.  Unfortunatly it does not matter what they tell you, it matters what you signed.

By the way the BBB is not going to help you.  They are PRO-Business and will not lift a finger to assist you.  But good luck anyways.