Complaint Review: Gamma LLC

• Updated: Wed, January 09, 2013

• Reported By: Don — Allentown Pennsylvania United States of America
Gamma LLC
408 West 36th St. New York, New York United States of America

Gamma LLC Refusal to return $3200 security deposit due to blatant lie about subletting New York, New York

*Consumer Comment: What to do about it?

*Consumer Comment: Same thing

*General Comment: I had the same exact issue

Rented an apartment for my son and friend who were doing internships for the summer of 2012. Was required to pay all three months (June-Aug) up front along with a one-month security deposit. When he left the apartment in August, we cleaned the apartment - it was cleaner than when we moved in. One of the building staff signed a form stating that the apartment was in acceptable condition, and that we would receive our security deposit back in a few weeks.
After one month, we had not received payment. The only contact number I had was with the building super, who referred me to "Management." The phone number he provided only led to a voicemail. I called him back and he gave me an email address. After several attempts, i finally received a reply stating that, "After review, we found that your son had illegal subleters/ renters throughout his stay.That is in violation of the Sublease that was signed. Your security deposit will not be returned to you at this time.Management."

This is an absolute lie - he never sublet the apartment during the summer. Also, legal review of lease showed that subletting was not a cause to retain the security deposit. I have had two attorneys (one in my home state, and one in NYC) attempt to contact "Gamma LLC" but they have not responded to any certified mail, etc.

I will be filing with the State Attorney's Office and will go to Small Claims Court. My son told me that other tenants in the building have had issues with security deposits.

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY OR AT THIS BUILDING. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF, AND THEN NEVER RESPOND.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/24/2012 08:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gamma-LLC/New-York-New-York-/Gamma-LLC-Refusal-to-return-3200-security-deposit-due-to-blatant-lie-about-subletting-Ne-973074. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gamma LLC

What to do about it?

AUTHOR: Junior1 - ()

I think it is going to happen to me as well and we should put a stop to it. Have you guys filed a lawsuit yet? Best action would be a class action lawsuit so that we put a permanent stop to this. Contact me at (((REDACTED)))  to discuss

Same thing

AUTHOR: sativis - ()

I was ripped off by them too, I can't imagine people like that still exist in NYC!

Please contact me at sativis [at] gmail [dot] com and let's cooperate

#3 General Comment

I had the same exact issue

AUTHOR: btd - (United States of America)

I also rented an apartment for 3 college students who had internships in NYC last summer (2012).  I have also filed a rip off report and a case with the NY Attorney General's office.  Do not rent from this building or this management team - they will promise to return your rent deposit and then you can't find them.  I lost $4000!!

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY (Gamma LLC) OR AT THIS BUILDING. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF, AND THEN NEVER RESPOND