Complaint Review: Gap - Banana Republic Company

• Submitted: Wed, October 21, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, October 21, 2009

• Reported By: Anonymous — BOSTON Massachusetts U.S.A.
Gap - Banana Republic Company
www.BananaRepublic.com San Francisco, California United States of America

Gap - Banana Republic Company The Gap Deceptive selling pratices, horrible customer service San Francisco, California

I went into a Gap store in the Burlington, Mass store to purchase a pair of blue jeans on Super Tuesday. I was told by an associate that if your purchase anything on Tuesday, you get an extra 10% off your purchase if you use a Gap, Old Navy or Banana Republic card.

Not true.

At my point of sale, along with purchasing my jeans,  I went to return a sweater I had bought with a gift card and my Banana Republic charge card.

I also by mistake brought the wrong receipt, which stressed out the cashier and caused a 20 minute delay in being checked out as the manager and cashier were talking thru headsets and were having a hard time communicating. I offered to come back with my receipt, as store was closing and they seemed impatient.

I was told this was not a problem,  but she would have to ring the gift certificate as a discount, because I didnt have my receipt, I questioned this, just in case jeans didnt fit well when I got them home, or wanted to change color, etc. She said not a problem, but still seemed impatient and frustrated.

I called the customer service the next day to ask about the 10% discount, (I assumed it would be taken off on the statement). Serena said that the 10% discount is done at the store level. Serena looked up my transaction, and I explained the situation with the gift card, and the problem while being checked out, but she said no, I had already gotten a discount, Serena said I couldn't get the 10% discount offered because I already got a discount. I asked to talk to her supervisor as she was unfriendly, and she said NO, she was the highest I could get, as I was dealing with corporate customer service. So after the call ended I called back again and asked for customer service, ED wanted to reconnect me to Serena, and I asked If I could talk to her supervisor, he was incredulous, YOU want to talk to HER supervisor?  Yes please. I was transferred over to Rose, who, was friendly and polite, unlike the other 2 unprofessional, curt customer service reps. Rose told me there is a supervisor who I could have talked to. Rose took care of the discount  issue for me.

I assumed the 10% came off on the bill since I was told it was a company wide pratice. Customer service said no, it has to be done at point of sale. I believe I was not given the  discount because I didnt ask for it. This is unethical. There is a sign posted in the dressing rooms offereing a 10% discount every Tuesday. The sales person called it "Super Tuesday" , but they dont automatically give you the discount.

I buy a lot of clothes without trying them on, at ALL of their stores (I have 6 nieces and nephews).  I know I have lost discounts, because I have not ASKED for the discount.

This is an enethical business pratice. At a time when business is hurting for this company, I would think their customer service would be a little more friendly, and they would promoted the discount, as I would prob buy more on those Tuesdays that I have shopped.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2009 09:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gap-Banana-Republic-Company/San-Francisco-California-94105/Gap-Banana-Republic-Company-The-Gap-Deceptive-selling-pratices-horrible-customer-servic-512701. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gap - Banana Republic Company