Complaint Review: Gary Serafin - Emerald Coast Catering - Charles Siskin's Catering

• Submitted: Sun, February 17, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, March 18, 2012

• Reported By:Concord North Carolina
Gary Serafin - Emerald Coast Catering - Charles Siskin's Catering
3906 Us Highway 98 W Ste 40 Santa Rosa Beach, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 850-622-6270
  • Web:
  • Category: Caterers

Gary Serafin - Emerald Coast Catering - Charles Siskin's Catering Breach of Contract Santa Rosa Beach Florida

*Author of original report: Don't risk it!

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: The Truth

I signed a contract for catering services with Emerald Coast Catering on 2/21/2007 and sent a deposit in the amount of $1300.00. The contract stated on the bottom that I was not contracting them for rentals or decorating but I can do so if I wish! I told them I needed some sort of estimate in writing on the decorations etc.before I could commit to letting them do this service. I spoke many times with the company employee regarding my wedding and the decorations. I even drove 10 hours to meet with him in April to discuss the design. He spoke with me about his ideas and assured me that he would get an estimate out within the next few weeks.

The end of may I contacted the company quite concerned that I had no estimate yet. The owners wife Jan spoke with me and informed me that the employee that I had been dealing with had left the company. She stated that she would be happy to get me a quote. She asked for a few more weeks due to their employee leaving, and she was now in charge of all his accounts.

On June 7, 2007 I received a proposal with price quotes regarding the decorations. I called the company and told them that was over my budget and I would have to make other arrangements regarding the design and decorations. However, I still wished to use them for the catering since I had already contracted that service with them. On 8/14/2007 I received a invoice with a fee in the amount of $695.00 for cancelling the design of my event (which I had never agreed to let them do).

I called the company and after much deliberation they agreed to drop the charge to $350.00. I still did not agree to the charge, but sent my credit card information giving them permisson to make the charges via certified letter so I could just move on with the plans for my wedding. The company then sent me a new contract that was completely different with three pages of new provisions and the additional cancellation charge. I refused to sign the new one since we already had a perfectly legitimate contract on file. The company sent an e mail stating that unless I signed the new contract we could not move ahead.

I made multiple attempts to call the owner, Gary Serafin, by his cell phone and at his office. I left several messages. He would no longer speak to me in person...Only via e mail. He took longer than 24 hours to respond to my e mails. I spent a month talking through e mails where I stated that I would not sign a new contract but was perfectly willing to honor my existing one.

I finally left a message one week before my wedding stating that if I did not receive a phone call from him by that evening I was going to consider the contract breached on his part and make other arrangements for my guests. He never returned my call. I requested my deposit of 1300.00 back since they did not honor the contract. I still have never heard back from any one at Emerald Coast Catering. I had to find a new caterer one week before my wedding.

Terri
Concord, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2008 07:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gary-Serafin-Emerald-Coast-Catering-Charles-Siskins-Catering/Santa-Rosa-Beach-Florida-32459/Gary-Serafin-Emerald-Coast-Catering-Charles-Siskins-Catering-Breach-of-Contract-Santa-309587. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gary Serafin - Emerald Coast Catering - Charles Siskin's Catering

Don't risk it!

AUTHOR: Donewrong - (U.S.A.)

I too have all the proof still! What kind of honest business won't even talk to their brides on the phone when they have issues! What kind of company makes you sign a completely new contract 6 months after original one! Not an honest one! Gary knew he had done me wrong and was trying to cover up by attempting to get me to sign a new contract! Most companies honor a contract once it's signed! I am sure he has had many satisfied brides! However my experience should not be ignored! It is really hard to find a completely new caterer from 10 hours away a week before the wedding! Not to mention he kept my 1300 dollar deposit with no explaination or reason! Atleast be sure to pay deposit with credit card! That will give you some type of protection in case this happens to you! There are too many caterers in the Santa rosa area to risk this same scenario happening to you!

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

AUTHOR: Emerald Coast Catering - (U.S.A.)

I have been serving the public in the foodservice industry in the Florida panhandle for over 25 years and have never ripped anyone off! I have hundreds of recommendations fron both clients and vendors. Most of our brides are from out of state and we will not cater a function without a signed contract and a valid credit card #.This client would not honor the terms of the contract that was signed. We have kept record of all the emails to back us up. As of of the end of 2008 we have catered over 250 weddings and have that many happy brides with letters of Recommendation for myself and Emerald Coast Catering

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds