Complaint Review: Gateway Chiropractic

• Updated: Tue, May 03, 2011

• Reported By: Rebekah — Eau Claire Wisconsin United States of America
Gateway Chiropractic
3519 Gateway Dr Eau Claire, Wisconsin United States of America

Gateway Chiropractic Took my money "upfront" and was then reimbursed by my insurance, now they refuse to refund my money alltogether, but in "installments" over 2 months. Eau Claire, Wisconsin

On February 2, 2011 I visited Gateway Chiropractic for the first time. I gave the receptionist my insurance card, and met with the doctor. After my appointment, the receptionist said she had called my insurance and was told they would not cover any expenses until I met my $1000 deductible. She also said that they require money to be paid up front. Over the month of February, and one week in March, I paid $610.88 to them. I discontinued visits because I could not longer afford it (and I told them this). At the end of March, I received my explanation of benefits from my insurance, and it showed that they covered all charges, and I was only responsible for a $30 co-pay for every visit. According to my insurance I only owed them a total of $232.28. I called my insurance to clarify that everything was indeed covered on April 4th. I called the Chiropractors office immediately to ask where my money was. They said that there was  $300+ credit on my account. (I dont' remember the actual figure quoted to me, but based on what I paid them, minus what I SHOULD have paid them, they owe me $378.60) They said my options were to either continue my visits, or get a check. I requested a check. A couple weeks later, I received a check in the mail, but for the amount of only $120. I called immediately and they told me that "It's their policy to refund money over a 3 month period". I would continue to receive "Installments" until the end of June. The next day I went into the office and requested to see their "refund policy" in writing. They don't have it, and it was never disclosed to me. I then submitted my complaint with the receptionist who said she would bring it up with the Doctor. The following Monday, I called to follow up and she said "there was nothing she could do" I would have to take the refund in installments. I Left a voicemail with the Doctor to call me, so I could speak with him directly. I then submitted a complaint to Better Business Bureau. That evening, the doctor called me back and I spoke with him for 25 minutes, trying to get my money refunded now, not over the following 2 months. He pointed out that it was "my insurance company's fault from the beginning for misinforming his staff of my coverage". I asked him why no one notice that I was overpaying when my insurance started sending payments? He said it would be "impossible for his staff to catch all those little variances, with a 400 patient-base". After having no luck there, I called my insurance company to find out if they have a record of what they give out about my coverage. They do keep notes and searched for inquiries in February. My insurance provider said there were no inquiries except for the one I made on 4/4. Now I believe that the chiropractors never called my insurance to begin with, which only leads me to believe that they are scamming me or cheating me some how. If I had never notice that I was overpaying, it seems they would have never told me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/03/2011 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gateway-Chiropractic/Eau-Claire-Wisconsin-54701/Gateway-Chiropractic-Took-my-money-upfront-and-was-then-reimbursed-by-my-insurance-now-725103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gateway Chiropractic