Complaint Review: Gateway Computer

• Submitted: Wed, July 30, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 30, 2008

• Reported By:Londonderry New Hampshire
Gateway Computer
7565 Irvine Cent Irvine, California U.S.A.

Gateway Computer would not supply repair/rebuild OS CD (back ordered...c'mon this was XP) Irvine California

the extended warranty offered on their desktops is a scam

in their words (email from PC support escalation) "Thank you for using Gateway's Online email support. Per the appropriate department your extended warranty has already ended last February.

A warranty upgrade does not add to the number of years purchased to the expiration date of the existing warranty. The upgrade adds additional years of coverage from the date the product was shipped."

in short the extended warranty expires when the default warranty (included with PC at time of purchase) expires

They were more than happy to charge me $69.99 to extend my warranty I still have the dang receipt and payment on my charge card statement

Saga unfolds like this: I waited over a month and never received OS repair CD's Called customer "support CD's show backordered"

Next call to support "we can ship them for $35.00"
me>What about my on-site warranty
PC Support escalation dept "we'll getback to you in 24-48 business hours"
One week later I email same support address...
How long do I have to wait for 48 hour reply (its been 5 business days)escalation support "warranty expired 1 year after PC ship date""why do they call it extended...sell it to me for $69.99...and not inform me it is only good for 5 months till the regular warranty runs out"

4 or 5 different support folks 4 or 5 different answers....

Man, I thought talking to India was bad....at least they attempted to be helpful and somewhat honest

Goodbye Gateway....
I have two Gateway FX510's...
No more Gatway anything(s) for this family....ever!

Customer support, even the escalation folks, seemed disconnected

John
Londonderry, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2008 05:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gateway-Computer/Irvine-California-92618/Gateway-Computer-would-not-supply-repairrebuild-OS-CD-back-orderedcmon-this-was-XP-357563. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gateway Computer