Complaint Review: Gateway Computers

• Updated: Fri, April 18, 2008

• Reported By:saint John NorthWest Territorie
Gateway Computers
7565 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine, CA 92618 Rothesay, New Brunswick Canada

Gateway Computers ,gateway.com - And Future Shop Canada Purchased Gateway computer on-line vis Future Shop. Experienced problems within the warentee period. Contacted Future Shop who sent me to Gateway who does not have a toll-free number for customers who did not purchase directly from Gateway Rothesay New Brunswick

*Consumer Suggestion: Thanx goodness...

Within 90 days of purchasing a Gateway desktop computer (on-line via Future Shop), I experienced system operating problems. This was within the warrantee period, so I called Future Shop only to be redirected to Gateway. Called Gateway Customer Service, to learn that since I did not purchase the computer directly from Gateway, there was no 1-800 number - and I had to call a long distance number to Utah.

I have now had to place no less than 6 long-distance calls, each approximately 20 minutes (including wait times). The most recent series of calls were a result of Gateway not sending me a return shipping label for my defective part - which must be returned within 30 days to redeem a deposit I was required to make on the new part!!!

On several calls the customer service person - would say that their system was down and that I should call back. On another call I was re-directed to another long-distance number - in order to make a request for a proper shipping label. I was on-hold for about 30 minutes before I finally was connected to a customer service rep - who took just a couple of minutes to process the shipping label.

So, at the end of the day, even though my computer is under warrantee, the long distance charges will likely far exceed the cost of the replacement part.

I will never again buy from Gateway - and I will question Future Shop on potential future purchases.

My advice is to by DELL Computers. They give awesome customer service!!

Susan
saint John, NorthWest Territories
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2008 05:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gateway-Computers/Rothesay-New-Brunswick-E2E-2H5/Gateway-Computers-gatewaycom-And-Future-Shop-Canada-Purchased-Gateway-computer-on-line-323023. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gateway Computers

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Thanx goodness...

AUTHOR: Kd - (Canada)

thank goodness futureshop offers the option of 24 hour customer service toll free lines for a minimum of two years to all of its customers. Also, Dell is now carried by Future Shop! Both of your suggestions have been met!