Complaint Review: Gateway Credit Card Plan/Citibank USA, N.A.

• Submitted: Wed, April 09, 2003
  • Updated: Sun, May 18, 2003

• Reported By:Cairo Georgia
Gateway Credit Card Plan/Citibank USA, N.A.
PO Box 8181 Gray, Tennessee U.S.A.

Gateway Credit Card Plan Citibank USA, N.A. ripoff business from hell, ripoff waste of time, the business that doesnt give a dam Gray Tennessee

*UPDATE Employee: Rates based on credit

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: i agree that interest ratea are outrages

I started buying my computer from Gateway 2 1/2 years ago. I started off owing $1392. For the past 2 1/2 years, I have paid $36 a month. How do I still owe $1270. The finance charges are outrageous.

I ran into a problem with them about a year ago. My son went into the hospital for several weeks. I was out of work for about 6 months because of it. They called me every day wanting to settle then.

They are very uncompassionate. We finally reached an agreement on payments when I was able to return to work. I have kept my account up to date and in good standing with them since then.

I even tried to return my computer to Gateway, because I have had trouble with it ever since I got it. They wouldn't take it back. They cut off tech support after 3 months and told me if I wanted tech support, I'd have to pay extra.

The computer isn't even worth the cost it took to build it. Next time, I'll get a Dell. I no longer want to deal with Gateway, Hurley State Bank, or Citibank USA. They are unfair, unkind, and screw you every chance they get.

I don't see why anyone would want to deal with these companies. I have and will continue to discourage anyone considering a computer purchase from going through this company to get it.

Angela
Cairo, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/09/2003 07:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gateway-Credit-Card-PlanCitibank-USA-NA/Gray-Tennessee-37615/Gateway-Credit-Card-Plan-Citibank-USA-NA-ripoff-business-from-hell-ripoff-waste-of-tim-52173. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gateway Credit Card Plan/Citibank USA, N.A.

Rates based on credit

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

I have to first say 1)I am truly sorry re: your situation with your child being in the hospital and the fact that you were out of work and 2) I don't agree with the comments that my fellow co-worker stated re: your situation. There is no excuse for being rude and apologize on behalf of Gateway for his comments. Your situation is your business and only the facts should have been addressed. Now, on to the facts.

Gateway DOES NOT provide the financing for your computer or anyone else's computers. We provide your information on a credit application to lenders who in turn offer to finance your system purchase.

THIS INFORMATION IS GIVEN AT THE POINT OF SALE AND THE SALE GOES NO FURTHER UNTIL A CONTRACT/AGREEMENT IS SIGNED OUTLINING THE PROVISIONS OF THE LOAN.

My collegue was accurate when he said rates are based on credit. Also, this information is provided to you (in bold print on the contract at time of signing (even you applied online). A time frame is then given as to the duration of the payments (ie...6 months 0 %, 12 months, 24 months, all the way up to 48 months). This is not different than a car loan, house loan or any other personal loan a person makes.

Again, this information is given at the point of sale and by signing, you agree to it. As far as the collections. It is not the finance company that offers to settle, it is the Collection Agency that purchases your debt from the company that you originally made the loan with (I know this because my credit is not all that great either).

So, when you offered a settlement, Citibank said "no" because they followed through with their part of the agreement which was to pay for your system, to Gateway, at time of purchase. In exchange your part of the agreement was to pay them back, in installments, a set amount, due on a certain date. True you had the hardships you did, but, I can tell you bad things happen to good people everyday and business would not survive if they gave into every good person that fell into hard times.

maybe you needed someone to read the contract to you. A contract is never written so that the average joe can understand it. I have worked in customer service all my life and there is already ANY COMPANY I have worked for that did not spell out everything somewhere in the contract... you just have to look.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

i agree that interest ratea are outrages

AUTHOR: Jack - (U.S.A.)

i agree that interest ratea are outrages
but they never forced you to accept the credit card also interst rates depends on your credit my guess is that its bad (that was your problem not citi's)

All so why should everyonr else pay for your computer because you dont think you should have to pay im sorry but i think more peoplr need to pay there bills and your interest rate would have been lower

with you not paying your bill why do you thinjk you had high interst rate. YOUR A BIG RISK NOT TO PAY..

yoou also said "I tried to come to a settlement agreement with them and they refused. They will be calling to make one when my account becomes overdue, and I've spent the money on something else."

what give you the right to settle on the account again you and your credit along with every card member with credit card pay for your computer

also im sure now one from gateway or citibank would mind if got dell per it would be them losing money on the purch

I would like thank you for you complaint hand love to see reply on acc