Complaint Review: Geico Auto Insurance

• Reported By: bluyndrdrms — Burleson Texas United States of America
Geico Auto Insurance

Geico Auto Insurance Geico, Bait and Switch, rate hike after one week Internet

*General Comment: Your quote

n February 28, 20013, I received a quote from Geico to insure our three vehicles (two full coverage, one liability only) for around $900 for a 6 month policy. This was about $150 less than what we would pay at renewal with Progressive. I paid the premium in full, signed the documents electronically, and received all policy documents and ID cards. On March 8, 2013, I received an e-mail that I now owe them almost $300 more.

According to online documents, they canceled my policy and reistated it at the higher rate. Through e-mail
correspondence, after many canned responses, they are claiming that a citation I had in 2010, THREE YEARS ago,
was not factored into the original rate. A $300 increase for a single three year old citation that was mysteriously not accounted for? I'm not even sure the citation is legitimate, as I don't recall it. I'll be ordering my driving record to find out for sure.

So, basically they will quote and even sell you a lower rate than what you are currently paying, wait until you have already canceled your old policy, and then raise your rate higher than what it was to begin with. I had had the policy that I left for several years and was receiving discounts based on that. If I were to go back to Progressive, I wouldn't be able to receive the same rate, because I would no longer have the loyalty discount. Oy vay!

Regardless, I'm sure I can find a lower rate than what Geico wants me to pay somewhere else, so I will be saving
hundreds of dollars by switching AWAY from Geico. It's just a humongous waste of my time to have to do so. I wonder how many other people they have done this to who haven't bothered to take the time to shop around again, and instead just swallowed the inflated rate?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2013 12:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Geico-Auto-Insurance/internet/Geico-Auto-Insurance-Geico-Bait-and-Switch-rate-hike-after-one-week-Internet-1026985. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geico Auto Insurance

#1 General Comment

Your quote

AUTHOR: Jani - ()

Your overall driving histroy is taken into account. Most people don't know their driving records or do not include it in the quote either not remembering or hoping if it is not listed that it won't be found - when ticket and claims records get pulled, that information is found and your rate is evaluated. Old tickets, accidents - your OVERALL driving record is what is looked at. If you want accurate quotes, track your claims and ticket history.