Complaint Review: Geico - Safelite Glass

• Submitted: Fri, September 07, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, December 03, 2008

• Reported By:santa clarita California
Geico - Safelite Glass
Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Geico - Safelite Glass -XYG Glass Company Dangerous Worthless Cheap windshields from China Los Angeles California

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't blame Geico

*Author of original report: Letter sent to Parent company of XYG Glass...

*Author of original report: UPDATE on Geico/Safelite and the use of XYG Windshields(Crap from China)...

On a recent trip across the I-15 highway from las Vegas we were hit by a rock in the middle of the windshield area.A call to GEICO and we were put in touch with SAFELITE company.Safelite did indeed set up a quick appointment to replace the damaged windshield in our driveway. The installer showed up on time and was VERY good at what he does. So far so good? read on....
The Gentleman from Safelite removed the OEM windshield in a timely manner.While the new unit was sitting on the stand I noticed the corner said it was made by "XYG" a chinese manufacture.If you google the DOT #563 you will see how many people have been screwed by XYG! This new windshield is cloudy when under 70 degrees! The distortion is VERY bad, if you look at dots on the road they are all over the place.In cool weather you MUST run the defogger/heater all the time or it clouds up.Wiping it with a cloth on the inside does not help,running the wipers wont clear it either.I checked the breakdown on the paperwork, this windshield cost GEICO a whopping $93.45!!

It's no wonder it's a piece of crap! I am now trying to get GEICO to have it replaced with a REAL/OEM windshield thru Ford.

DO NOT ACCEPT XYG PRODUCTS!!! Safelite sells them a lot and they are no bargain at all!I don't know yet if GEICO knows about this crappy/shoddy/dangerous practice yet but they are going to by today.How SAFELITE can sell this garbage is beyond me.

I will be happy to post a followup to this and I really hope that GEICO will do the right thing and have a OEM windshield installed.If GEICO doesnt, we will cancel them and find another insurance company to insure our 3 cars and 2 motorcycles SAFELITE should not use such substandard products in repairing cars, especially when it concerns YOUR personal safety.

Las vegas ham
Santa Clarita, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/07/2007 08:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Geico-Safelite-Glass/Los-Angeles-California-91350/Geico-Safelite-Glass-XYG-Glass-Company-Dangerous-Worthless-Cheap-windshields-from-China-273004. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geico - Safelite Glass

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Don't blame Geico

AUTHOR: Glassman77 - (U.S.A.)

As an employee of an autoglass replacment company and a certified technician of 7 years. Glass companies are free to choose any brand of glass they please. Safelite uses imported glass because its cheaper to buy it from China than it is to have their own plants manufacture it. XYG glass is crap and is also sold under different brands (PPG). D.O.T. numbers identify manufacturers. Fitment and distortion problems are common and many consumers don't notice or will not complain. Most technicians (even safelite's) perfer not to use poor quality glass because it often results in a dissatisfied customer and the job has to be redone. Request a Premium Brand. Your Insurance should cover it.

Letter sent to Parent company of XYG Glass...

AUTHOR: Las vegas ham - (U.S.A.)

Dear sales team,

I had the unfortunate experiance of having one of your POOR QUALITY windshields installed in my car.
The part number was DW01474 in a 2002 Ford Explorer 4 door SUV. It was installed by Safelite company.
While the gasket was good quality, the distortion was horrible! The problem gets worse, please read on....

The next morning I went out at 5:30AM, it was dry out but the humidity was over 35%. I started the vehicle and noticed the windshield was "Hazy".I turned on the wipers,it did not clear.I used the window washer, it still didnt clear. I wiped the inside with a dry paper towel, IT STILL DIDNT CLEAR!!!!

I was in a dark area and I could still see the road so i pulled out onto a busy street.As soon as I had headlights from the oncoming cars I COULD SEE NOTHING!!.The haze in the window was blinding me and I had to roll down the drivers
window to find the road center.i pulled off and waited 20 minutes for the defroster to warm the window. after 20 minutes I could drive.I turned OFF the defroster (again about 62 degrees outside) and the windshield fogged up in a few minutes.It appears that the fogging is between the layers of glass! This product is a DANGEROUS piece of crap!

I had the glass shop (Safelite) replace it with a windshield from "Carlite". This one is fine, no problems at all. No distortion
no fogging.

The installers at Safelite KNOW your windshields are POOR quality and installed this one because GEICO told them to!
I posted about this onripoffreport.com about this. It's under Geico/Safelite and XYG unsafe windshields.
I paid $250 for this junker of a windshield! NEVER again will I buy or allow friends/family/co-workers to use your
autoglass!
Postings about XYG are all over the internet I wish I had seen them BEFORE allowing one in my car. If this is an isolated
event, please tell me. So far it looks the "Norm" that most of your products are substandard, please prove me wrong?

Thanks for listening,

I will be happy to post what THEY say about this....

UPDATE on Geico/Safelite and the use of XYG Windshields(Crap from China)...

AUTHOR: Las vegas ham - (U.S.A.)

Safelite stepped up to the plate and came out to remove the GARBAGE XYG Windshield and installed a QUALITY OEM windshield manufactured by "Carlite". Ford approves of the use of Carlite glass in it's vehicles.
Safelite picked up the differance in the cost of the OEM windshield!
Safelite advised me that GEICO instructs them to use the CHEAP/POOR quality parts!!! Geico wanted to wash their hands on this by saying once the XYG glass was installed i,GEICO's part of the deal was done.
KUDOS TO SAFELITE for making good on a deal that GEICO wanted to jam down our throats.For that I publically thank SAFELITE for doing that.

I am now on the phone getting quotes from other insurance carriers, as we will DROP GEICO after this.You trust your insurance company to "Have your back" and this CLEARLY demonstrates that Geico will NOT protect you.After a $250 deductable on the windshield, Geico was "out of pocket" a whopping $5.71 !!! Yes, you read correct! Geico put a SUBSTANDARD/CHEAP XYG windshield in my car to save less than the $100 differance.I would have been better off to choose the shop I wanted and the windshield I wanted on my own , then to go thru Geico!
If Geico will use crap glass, you can bet they will direct other repair facilities to use the cheapest aftermarket parts they can get away with.

If you must use Geico for a claim get it in writing from the repair people BEFORE they even touch your car as to what type of glass they have been instructed to use.You have a choice!

promptly