Complaint Review: Geico

• Submitted: Sun, February 17, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, November 11, 2008

• Reported By:Nashville Tennessee
Geico
www.geico.com Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Geico not worth the hassle and rude customer service. Nashville Tennessee

*UPDATE Employee: please do me a favor

*Consumer Suggestion: Geico has been great to me!

*UPDATE Employee: Hmmm...

Geico insurance is not worth the hassle, when choosing them they were in my top 3 for rates for auto and renters (through their third party). I bought into the hype and chose them. I am regretting this now.

I recently had my car broken into and about $3000 worth of things stolen out of it. On top of the customer service rep being very rude to me I discovered that they will not cover anything inside the car. Now I specifically remember asking about this when getting my quotes, who wouldn't when you constantly travel. So I am told to check my renters insurance.....i did and no deal, when would you knowingly give someone hope about this when you know your sister company does not provide this.

On top of all of this they tell me they can get my car in in four days....okay folks my door is practically ripped off (oh yes they did a number on my car), i understand if they can't get to it for four days but could you please arrange for me to get the car there since i park outside.......i even offered to drive up to 50 miles....nothing, would not even put in a phone call to check. so the kicker being is i called the place they reccomended (that would take 4 days) and they told me to bring it in that afternoon. Seriously people!!!!

Geico is just not worth the hassle, especially with the coverage they provide. I'm going to (((competitor's name redacted))).

Furious!
Nashville, Tennessee

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on GEICO Insurance

sorry, allowing you to give a competitors name would instigate others to just file against their competition, to only come back later to suggest their company, ..plus, if you post a competitors name more than likely they will show up on search engines as a Rip-off! - - your comments on this policy are welcome. CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report. In this case we removed an alleged competitor's name

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2008 10:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Geico/Nashville-Tennessee-37211/Geico-not-worth-the-hassle-and-rude-customer-service-Nashville-Tennessee-309614. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geico

please do me a favor

AUTHOR: Salmonpear - (U.S.A.)

flip to section 3 of your policy contract... it will fall under losses we will pay... comprehensive (none collision) it will flat out lay it to you what is covered and what is not... perhaps reading what you pay for might be a wise choice.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Geico has been great to me!

AUTHOR: Lucas - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry for your experience.
I have filed a total of 3 insurance claims in a 24 hour period. First, my car was stolen and I reported that to Geico. I also filed a claim with my renter's insurance (through a different company)for the items that were in my car. The people at Geico were so friendly and simpathetic. They were the ones that told me to file a claim on my renter's insurance policy for my personal items in my car. I never would have thought to do that since the items were not in my apartment nor was my car parked anywhere near my apartment when it was stolen. Geico also set me up with a rental car and within 45 minutes someone from Enterprise was knocking on my door to pick me up. The very next day in my rental car on the way to work I crashed my rental car. Although it was my fault, everyone at Geico was again very simpathetic. The claims adjuster even called me the following day just to make sure I was still ok.
It has only been two weeks since this all happened. I will edit this based on the final outcome!

Hmmm...

AUTHOR: A Responsible Consumer - (U.S.A.)

Let me make sure that I understand your post. You filed a claim on your GEICO policy using your Comprehensive coverage. Since this coverage will cover amongst other things, thefts and vandalisms the only thing one usually has to worry about is paying the deductible that you have selected.

Looks like things were going well until you were informed that your automobile insurance policy does not cover the theft of items that were present in the vehicle at the time it was vandalized. Which by the way, is accurate. Just look at the policy contract that was sent to you when the policy was originally started. Or, if you do not have a copy of this policy, just call the GEICO customer service department. Advise the representative that you would like a better understanding of the coverages listed on your policy. They will be more than happy to submit a copy of that contract to you.

And, as far as the false hope with inquiring about the coverages on your renters policy, please keep in mind that most GEICO agents employed in the automobile insurance department do NOT hold licenses in the Homeowner's division. Training and licensing is specifically tailored to assisting with an automobile policy. Even if the person who advised you to check your renter's policy knew that the items stolen from your vehicle would not be covered, since they have not been specifically trained in that department, they would not be able to advise you of that. So, to protect themselves, GEICO, and more importantly you, they did the correct thing by advising you to do further research. What if the situation were different and you complained about replacing the stolen items out of pocket but at a later date found out that those items WOULD have been covered under your homeowner's or renter's coverage? But, you did not know that because an automobile licensed and trained agent advised you not to bother, since they knew for a fact the items would not be covered? I am sure you would be just as upset if not more so.

I guess the long and short of it is to become a responsible consumer and learn the ins and outs of the product that you have purchased. I know I have, and it makes it a lot easier for me when I inquire about my insurance coverage.

And, as for the discrepancy with the repair time frame...aren't you glad GEICO was wrong about when they would be able to repair the vehicle? You did not indicate, but I am assuming the car was repaired in a satisfactory manner?
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC