Complaint Review: Geico

• Updated: Thu, April 13, 2006

• Reported By:Westminster Colorado
Geico
geicodirect.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Geico Insurance ripoff geico settles claims according to what they can get away with, not what is right or legal nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Lower Premiums

I am not a client of Geico's, instead I am a victim of one of their reckless drivers, and Geico refuses to pay for the damage their insured caused.

In January, a Geico driver ran a stop sign and hit my car. Police arrived immediately and took down a report that cleary spelled out the facts of the incident, including the responsibility of the other driver. I had the right of way. (The other driver was ticketed). I was actually driving 5 miles UNDER the speed limit at the time of the accident, and I did all I could to avoid the impact.

The day of the accident I called Geico and explained what had happened. The claims adjuster said they would not pay for my damages because the accident happened near the edge of the intersection. A few days later, a new adjuster called and said he would send someone out to assess the damages. When I asked about the previous adjusters' denial, he told me that was over and not to worry about it.

An assessor looked at my car and offered me a value far under its worth. (It was totaled.) We began negotiating over the price. WEEKS later, after they had already offered to pay 100% of damages, the assessor informed me the adjuster had placed a "DO NOT PAY" on the claim. When I called the adjuster, he explained that they had decided to go back to denying the claim for the same reason the original adjuster denied it. This is AFTER I had a written offer from Geico . I had to call his supervisor and threaten to call the state department of insurance before they agreed to follow through on what they'd written down!

Now they are doing the same with my bodily injury claim. They mailed me a letter explaining that although they'd agreed to pay the property damage, they would not pay any medical bills because I was "the proximate cause of the accident." Then a bodily injury adjuster called and asked me to begin sending in bills so they could be reviewed for medical necessity. Then once again they reneged.

I have spoken to a lawyer, and legally Geico has no ground to stand on. Their client was clearly at fault for the accident. Geico seems to think that my case is small enough that I would rather drop it then go through the hassle of suing for what they legally owe me.

Not only is what they are doing illegal, but I find it very unethical. They seem to function on a policy of denying any claim they think they can get away with regardless of whether it's the legal thing to do.

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY! Even if they offer the lowest price, they are obviously more concerned with money than people (or the law).

Kelly
Westminster, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2004 12:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Geico/nationwide/Geico-Insurance-ripoff-geico-settles-claims-according-to-what-they-can-get-away-with-not-101473. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geico

Lower Premiums

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

I was also hit by a person who is GIECO. After initial cooperation, they are now dragging their feet with the claim. That's why GIECO insured are all raving about their lower rates. Their insurance company saves tons of $$ by not paying their claims...Only thing I can think of