Complaint Review: Geisinger Choice

• Updated: Tue, February 09, 2010

• Reported By: silvana — lewistown Pennsylvania USA
Geisinger Choice
100 Noth Academy Avenue Danville, Pennsylvania United States of America

Geisinger Choice PPO with No Reerral (Non Group) health care insurance company Discrimination with my height, weight and minor preexisting conditions Danville, Pennsylvania

I am the owner of a small business with 2 employees.  Three years ago I was able to sign up for a group health care with Geisinger Choice so all of us were able to have health care insurance.  First and second year I paid 100%, 3rd year 75%, on the 4th year premiums hit the ceiling, so I offered 50% but my group decide against having the insurance due to financial difficulties.  I was left alone with no insurance.  I have applied for non-group coverage with Choice and sent the first premium amount by check.  On February 1, 2010 I received a letter of disqualification stating that my medical information was reviewed and did not meet the medical underwriting criteria required by Geisinger Choice.  The decision to decline the application for insurance was based on the following reasons:  Height and weight, high blood pressure, tobacco use and ITP.  According to the non-group underwriting standards and guidelines, the above mentioned conditions are disqualifying. My height is 53" I cannot help it, my weight is 195 pounds, I were size 12 in woman, normal large size for average woman.  My blood pressure has been under control with light medication for decades.  What Geisinger Choice is doing is to compare my physical to a chart created in this part of a country, but do not fit if you are born in Europe.  Woman in Europe have a different body's shape, we tend to carry extra weight on our chest. I am 51 yrs. old and I do not understand why these insurance companies have the right to apply for a license to insure people and have also the right to pick and choose and discriminate without consequences.  If I would put a scale in my office to be used for jobs interviews I will think I would be prone to be sued for discrimination.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2010 10:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Geisinger-Choice/Danville-Pennsylvania-17822-3220/Geisinger-Choice-PPO-with-No-Reerral-Non-Group-health-care-insurance-company-Discrimina-566719. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geisinger Choice