Complaint Review: General Electric

• Submitted: Fri, July 25, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, August 24, 2008

• Reported By:Fort Wayne Indiana
General Electric
3135 Easton Turnpike Fairfield, Connecticut U.S.A.

General Electric Air Conditioners are JUNK Fairfield Connecticut

*Consumer Suggestion: IT IS TRUE ABOUT THE GE AIR CONDITIONERS BEING JUNK

*UPDATE Employee: Facts straight

General Electric is reportedly trying to sell their appliance division. Is it any wonder? After reading the growing numbers of angry, frustrated GE consumers who also feel ripped off, it seems as though JUNK seems to have become GE's slogan. The GE Air conditioner we have is 13 months old. We tested it in summer of 2007 for 5 minutes after it was installed. Never used it again until June 2008. It sounded like a 2 cylinder lawn mower and vibrated violently. Our contacts with GE have been mixed -ranging from even though you are one month past warranty GE will cover service call. Letters and phone calls that brought hope were dashed by Yvonne Green who informed me that the other GE employee was WRONG to tell us we would get GE cooperation. What has happened to the once great GE? GE once meant quality. It now seems to be in the same league as greedy hedge fund managers, over paid CEOs, and most of our federally elected official - narcasstic.

Jean
Fort Wayne, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2008 07:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/General-Electric/Fairfield-Connecticut-06828/General-Electric-Air-Conditioners-are-JUNK-Fairfield-Connecticut-355534. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on General Electric

#1 Consumer Suggestion

IT IS TRUE ABOUT THE GE AIR CONDITIONERS BEING JUNK

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

I have installed at least 10 and almost all of the GE ones prematurely failed. (Had one Fedders and it went for 3 years-the fan actually quit on that one and that was the only reason for departure) I clean my units and remove them for the winter every year. I also clean them regularly while in the window(about once weekly). They(GE ones) always fail. The one in my Son's room is (shocked) on it's 4th season. But, it is an older model. However, the darn thing just never had blowing power and has always struggled to cool a tiny room such as his.

The new ones seem so cheap now. The little switch they now install on all of them always trips and will not reset on the GE units. This is this biggest problem for me. Another is that they have tiny fans that don't blow well at all! I finally had had enough and bought an LG. Ok...these A/C units rock! The 8,000 BTU LG cools more effectively than the GE of the same BTU. My room stays around 70 all day with the LG but with the GE 8,000, my room barely went below 81. The LG is easier to clean and has a much more pwerful fan than the GE units. It also has a removable stopper to let condensation out of the back. The GE units have never had one that I have ever noticed. The LG is a more solid unit than the GE units. This LG is comparable to my first window unit I bought 10 years ago(the Fedders). Now we KNOW how those would blow the arctic in! Not to mention-last.

I find it hard to believe the LG is the same as the GE underneath...there's NO COMPARISON.( I could see some internal parts being generic in general but that would be like saying every car alternator was made by the same company) Just buy LG next time. You will pay about $20 more, but it is soooo worth it. AND they come with a 5 year, in home repair warranty! GE can't come close! Good luck and I hope you try the LG! I know I am loving it! ;;)

Facts straight

AUTHOR: Colorado Tech - (U.S.A.)

First things first the appliance division is not for sale, we are being spun off as our own company. Second, that air conditioner is not made by G.E. It is made by another company and we put our name on it. Third it doesnt matter what type of ac you buy they are all made by the same companies.