• Report: #198596

• Submitted: Wed, June 28, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, June 28, 2006

• Reported By:Fort Mill South Carolina
General Electric
www.geappliances.com Rapid City, South Dakota U.S.A.

General Electric won't honor their warranty, gave me the run around until warranty expired! ripoff Rapid City South Dakota

I purchased a side by side refridgerator new back in April, 2000. Not long after I had it, it stopped cooling/freezing. I made a service call and had the condenser and evaporator replaced. About every 4 months it stops cooling/freezing.

I continue to make a call and the repairman keeps putting freon into the unit. The last two times he came, August 2005 then again March 2006, he said he was putting in for a replacement to be made. I didn't hear anything and decided to stop being patient since I had been told that it wouldn't be an overnight thing. When I called back, I was told that the repairman had to come out and physically call in from my home phone for the replacement to be made.

He came out today and did just that but was told that they would only pro-rate since it was now out of warranty! The amount that I was given was $731.55 for an even smaller unit than I currently have! All this started when it was in warranty but now they won't honor their promise of replacement since the warranty has expired.

I was told two days ago by a supervisor in the customer relations department that it would be replaced if the repairman made the call from my home. I spoke with her today and she said she never told me that. I really wish I would have recorded the conversation and would advise anyone to do that in the future. Before I spoke to her, I called and spoke to another representative and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, she told me I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone else since I had already been told by a supervisor that I would only be pro-rated.

When I told her I was contacting an attorney and asked for her name, she condescendingly spelled it for me. The supervisor that I finally talked to told me she wasn't supposed to tell me that and the complaint would be turned into "her supervisor". I have now been told that it will be under review. From past experience, they will continue to drag on until they think I'll give up. I was also told the only way to make a complaint other than what I've done is to send in a letter.

I feel that this is another one of their delay tactics. I was told by the repairman that the "breaker strip" was damaged and couldn't even be replaced - this happened when the condenser/evaporater was replaced back in the summer of 2004 (during warranty). With this being damaged, there is no way to repair this unit according to the repairman.

Glenda
Fort Mill, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/28/2006 08:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/General-Electric/Rapid-City-South-Dakota-57709/General-Electric-wont-honor-their-warranty-gave-me-the-run-around-until-warranty-expired-198596. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on General Electric