owned

• Submitted: Wed, August 24, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, September 05, 2011

• Reported By: Rizzo — Centennial Colorado United States of America
General Electric

General Electric GE Cares GE Cares - 5 year old frigerator DEAD, GE doesn't care! Internet

*Consumer Comment: GE

*Author of original report: 100 certificate toward new GE? I refused

*Consumer Comment: Gee

*Consumer Comment: Take the offer

In Feb. 2006, we purchased a French Door, bottom freezer GE Profile refrigerator.     In the past few months at one time, the freezer started warming up.  We were drinking ice cream in a hurry.  The temp on the frigerator was warming up too. The lights went out on the adjustable indicator and were useless.  Then it worked for a couple of months..

In July 2011, it was practically dead.  Repairman charged 278.00 and said the main
board was out, labor 30 days and parts for 5 years.    It worked for a week, and died again.
Repairman said it would cost 800.00 to fix and said it wasnt worth fixing.  He also told us the reason the doors didnt close tight was because of broken clips at the top??  Interesting, we were not aware of that!

He phoned GE and was told we could have the 800.00 toward a new GE.  Fine, I was for
that.   Then, stories get changed with GE.  They would not offer 800 toward new
refrigerator, more like few hundred discount.  Insisted that we needed to pay up-front, balance would have been too high.

We went through too many
hassles, spoke with enough supervisors/reps to start a softball team.  Discount was finally dwindled down and they still insisted we pay up front, to them, for a new GE.

Everytime we spoke with someone their stories changed.  Frustrated, I said I do not want to buy a refrigerator from GE, ever again.   I finally demanded return of my guaranteed repairwork.  They refused to give that back, saying I would need to buy a GE from them.

Holding my repair refund hostage!!????
They say they could not return it and it would be applied to new frig.

After much screaming, and making them realize that holding my repair refund was worse than the Mafioso tactics, I finally received a refund, minus the repairmans trip charge.

This was a nightmare situation with GE CARES..aka GE CARES ABOUT KEEPING YOUR MONEY.    We were told these refrigerators should last 10 years.  This one lasted 5 years and we paid nearly $1700.  Never again with GE!  They also lost my home/auto insurance business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/24/2011 10:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/General-Electric/internet/General-Electric-GE-Cares-GE-Cares-5-year-old-frigerator-DEAD-GE-doesnt-care-Intern-769053. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on General Electric

GE

AUTHOR: Joseph Brown - (USA)

I have never owned a GE product that didn't die shortly after the warranty ran out. Also the head of GE is a friend of the manchild in the WH. Go figure.

100 certificate toward new GE? I refused

AUTHOR: Rizzo - (United States of America)

Sure.  they mentioned a 700.00 discount, but it got whittled down to $300, THEN nothing.  I did get a $100 certificate for the purchase of a new GE.  I refused it.  So, as I said, it started out with a good discount that went down the toilet.   I got my 208.00 repair bill back, less the $70.00 trip charge.
Never again with GE.

Gee

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

These guys have really went downhill.

Take the offer

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You were offered an $800 credit even though you paid $278 for the repair. That's a great deal!