Complaint Review: General Revenue - Sallie Mae debt collection

• Updated: Thu, June 28, 2012

• Reported By: leaunna — moneta Virginia United States of America
General Revenue - Sallie Mae debt collection
11501 Northlake dr cincinnati, Ohio United States of America

General Revenue - Sallie Mae debt collection harassment is the only policy these people know cincinnati, Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Be careful

I work for a school system and received a call from one of the secretaries that she had received a call from someone looking for me and demanding my contact information. The caller then stated that if I did not return within an hour she would be placing a call to the superintendent of the school. First off, my employer can't give out my personal information and the superintendent can do even less.

When I called the company, I was asked to verify all types of information. When I asked where or what I was calling I was informed that that information couldn't be revealed until I gave my birthday and SSN#, all she could tell me was it was a personal matter. When I refused to give my personal information, she was forced to tell me what she had on file and what the call was in reference to.

Finally I was put through to a young lady who explained why she was calling and asked me if I had the funds to pay a seven figure debt right then. When I replied that I could not, the offers got even more outlandish. She then informed me that they were aware of a lottery ticket I turned in because they do their homework. I informed her that while I turned the ticket in, the money was not all mine to keep and I didn't have my small part any longer. I told her what I was able to pay and asked her to send me a statement in the mail and I would pay what I was able to pay each month.

I was then transferred to another lady. This woman processed to bully and cajole me to get money right then. She said I should go to my roommate whom I turned the lottery ticket in for and make him give me the money to pay the loan. When I refused she tried other outrageous tactics.

I asked her why it was that the money was not returned to the loaner when I withdrew from classes. She replied I guess they got paid for an empty seat and that's not my problem. She talked about wage garnishment and I told her she wouldn't have any luck there because I didn't make enough a month for that to be an option. She said that depended on the situation. I told her again, you can not get one. She then informed me I would have to pay a certain amount and she wanted my bank info. I refused telling her I could not afford that and again, she could mail me a statement and I would send payments. I also informed her that there were harassmentlaws in Va that prevented bill collectors from calling and threatening work places and demanding information. She replied, we do whatever we feel is necessary, regardless of what anyone else thinks. We will call whoever, whenever.

Finally I offered to authorize payments of $60 a months starting 3 days from that phone call. She refused to take that offer saying it had to start right then, that day. Needless to say, I'm not enjoying dealing with these people and their demands. If you have to deal with them, expect to have anything you offer refused and if you can't agree with what they want, prepare to be harassed and hounded.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2012 07:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/General-Revenue-Sallie-Mae-debt-collection/cincinnati-Ohio-45249/General-Revenue-Sallie-Mae-debt-collection-harassment-is-the-only-policy-these-people-k-903894. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on General Revenue - Sallie Mae debt collection

Be careful

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

If this matter is over student loans, they can and will just take the money. They can get a judgement against you easily over student loans. You cannot file bankruptcy to get out of them either. In most states they can garnish up to 25% of your paycheck. So when they say they can garnish your check, they very likely can. Any other debt you could get a company to work with you on, but these companies know you can't run away from student loan debt. If you are in default on your student loans, a lot more nastiness is headed your way.