Complaint Review: Genetest, Paragon Genetics

• Updated: Tue, January 24, 2006

• Reported By:Mesa Arizona
Genetest, Paragon Genetics
paragondna.com Toronto, Ontario Canada

Genetest, Paragon Genetics ripoff, fradulent, unprofessional, devastating, prenatal paternity test, cord blood, scam, DNA testing Toronto Ontario

*Consumer Suggestion: Something doesn't add up

I was unsure about the paternity of my unborn child, so when a friend told me that she had heard about a prenatal paternity test that did not pose a risk to the fetus, I was excited at the possibility of knowing paternity without the risks of amniocentesis or CVS.

I talked to the "father"about doing the test, and we decided that we'd spend the $990 to know for sure my baby's paternity before the actual birth.

I contacted Gevetest when I was 25 weeks into my pregnancy, and was told that we needed to do the test soon because they preferred to do it between 10 and 18 weeks gestation in order to beable to gather the fetal cells. I wanted the test done so badly, that I paid via credit card, and had the kit overnighted to me. I found a lab to draw blood myself, since Genetest "couldn't find" one in my area, and had 30ml of blood drawn.. The "father" lives in a different state, and when he called to ask where to go to get his sample taken, He was told to take regular q-tips and swab his own cheek and send them in with a paper stating my name so that the samples could be matched up in Canada.

I was shocked that they would suggest that he do that. It seemed so unprofessional, especially for as much money as I had spent. We waited 19 business days, which was longer than we were told, and it was determined that the "father" was an exclusion. This was unbelievable to me becasue the only other possibility had had a vasectomy, and the "father" had not. I decided that after my baby was born, we would take advantage of the free retest after birth that Genetest had promised us, just to make sure.

I called Genetest to arange for a cord blood testing kit to be sent to me in anticipation of my son's birth, and was told that I'd have to pay $300 if we wanted to re-take the "father's" ample. I argued with the phone rep, and finally "Dr. Yuri", and finally got Genetest to commit to a retest for just the cost of shipping.

When my son was born, cord blood was carefull collected and shipped overnight to Genetest. I waited 2 weeks for an answer, and finally called. I asked about my results, and the phone rep, without stopping to check a file or anything, told me that the "father" as still an exclusion. I was never sent the results of the second test, and when I requested them, I was given the runaround.

I have a friend with similarly awful dealings with Genetest, and then I saw a post here about the company, and I am now seriosly doubting the results. I am shocked and hurt that I may have gone through my pregnacy and labor alone because Genetest decided to scam me. DNA testing is not ajoke, it effects lives. Now, because of my doubt, I'll need to contact the "father" and spend more money to get a legitimate paternity test done.

Alyssa
Mesa, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2005 10:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Genetest-Paragon-Genetics/Toronto-Ontario/Genetest-Paragon-Genetics-ripoff-fradulent-unprofessional-devastating-prenatal-patern-137998. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Genetest, Paragon Genetics

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Alyssa first indicated: "I was unsure about the paternity of my unborn child" .

Upon being tested, and being told that the "father" was an exclusion, Alyssa indicated "This was unbelievable to me because the only other possibility had had a vasectomy" .

So, if the only other possibility had had a vasectomy, why would Alyssa have been unsure about the paternity of a child? And if she was unsure about the paternity, why would she claim it was unbelievable that the "father" was an exclusion?

I point this out so that consumers reading this forum will understand the complaint is obviously misdirected, there is no evidence of a scam, there is a woman caught off-guard / embarrassed by the results of a paternity test AND re-confirmation test.

#2 Consumer Suggestion