Complaint Review: Georgia Power - Southern Company

• Submitted: Mon, August 10, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, April 19, 2012

• Reported By:Villa Rica Georgia
Georgia Power - Southern Company
241 Ralph McGill Boulevard NE Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

Georgia Power - Southern Company Thier Power Surges Broke My AC Unit Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: stop smart meters georgia . org

*Consumer Comment: ??

*Consumer Suggestion: surges

On Thursday night, August 6 there were at least four power surges in my house which knocked out my clocks and turned my AC off. Well on Friday, August 7 the heat rose and rose in my house.

By noon, it was 85 degress in my house and the thermostat was set on 75... I called Georgia Power and complained about the power surges which they made note of in my file. I got home at 7 p.m. and it was still 85 the temperature had not changed. I immediatley called my AC guy who asked me if I had noticed anything unusual. The only thing I could tell him was about the power surges, so he had me check my fuse box and we determined it wasn't a fuse issue.

On Saturday, August 8 my AC guy came to the house to determine what was wrong with my AC unit. He had to replace the capacitor which can go out because of power surges. He provided us with the busted capacitor and some paperwork to validate its failure due to the power surges.

I once again called Georgia Power and told them what had happened. They informed me that they were going to file a claim about it becuase they did cause power surges in the area and they were going to see if I could be reimbursed for the AC repairman and the part replacement.

Well today, I got a call from a GA Power employee who informed me that they did in fact cause the power surges, but that they were not responsible for paying for the repair because they do these types of power surges all the time and that they were not negligent in doing so. Well I say that is a crock of crap!!! They caused the surges and they caused the breakage in my AC unit. They need to fix it! We are talking about less than $400 which is a lot of money to an individual, but not a lot of money to a huge corporation.

You cannot damage someone's property and say oh well we do these things all the time... deal with it. How is that justice! That would be like someone rear ending you and then saying yeah I am not going to pay for the damage to your car because well frankly you were in my way and you should pay for the damage to my car... that is ridiculous!

They damaged it, they need to pay for the repair!

Beth
Villa Rica, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2009 02:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Georgia-Power-Southern-Company/Atlanta-Georgia-30308/Georgia-Power-Southern-Company-Thier-Power-Surges-Broke-My-AC-Unit-Atlanta-Georgia-478174. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Georgia Power - Southern Company

#1 Consumer Suggestion

stop smart meters georgia . org

AUTHOR: stopsmartmetersgeorgia - (United States of America)

Beth,

Do YOU have a New SMART METER installed in your home or did you when this surge happened?  I am aksing because this sounds like a SMart MEter issue.  They are very dangerous meters and will catch fires at times.  Please join us on facebook and also see our site above for more data.

??

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

So Nancy, suppose you tell us what kind of surge protector you bought for your central air conditioning unit.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

surges

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

Why do you think surge protectors were invented? You should have all your electronics plugged into them.All my tv's and computers are on surge protectors. And NOT just a power strip either, a regular protector.