Complaint Review: Georgia Power

• Reported By: Cale — Austell Georgia United States of America
Georgia Power
241 Ralph McGill Blvd Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

Georgia Power Where does our deposit monies go? Atlanta, Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: You really shouldn't, allegedly "overlook" your payments.

02/17/12 Well it certainly was not difficult to find a complaint on the Internet about our Southern Company Georgia Power. I began residence in my home in 1996. I have a deposit the Georgia Power for $140. I overlooked my payment due January 31, 2012 for $62.04. February 2, when I realized what had happened and for fear of having no electricity I immediately phoned Georgia Power for we know how easy it is for them to terminate one's service, a flip of the switch. I was told by Georgia Power no problem and I entered payment via the Internet that day, February 2. I recently received a letter from Georgia Power dated February 2, 2012, stating that an additional $120 for deposit is now charged to my account, making my deposit now $260. I called Georgia Power and spoke to allegedly Nicole, then allegedly supervisors allegedly Angela and allegedly Corey (you never know if these people give you their true names or if they really are supervisors or if they just pass the phone call down the line). No cooperation whatsoever. I am a disabled senior citizen and suffice it to say in winter and these hard economic times such a immediate drain to my income is severe. I contacted Georgia Power again and asked if my deposit was receiving interest, and was told yes, at 3%. Is my interest accountable to my deposit, apparently not. Georgia Power will have then over $300 of my money. There is no recourse. I pose the questions to all of you, why is your money only accruing 3% interest, why is it totally beyond your control, is this money being held in escrow as it should or is our money being used at the total discretion of this money hungry inhumane monopoly?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2012 11:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Georgia-Power/Atlanta-Georgia-30308-3374/Georgia-Power-Where-does-our-deposit-monies-go-Atlanta-Georgia-840207. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Georgia Power

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You really shouldn't, allegedly "overlook" your payments.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

SCGP now sees you as a bigger risk than before.  It is their right to "allegedly"  require an additional deposit.

Your complaint, though, is puzzling.  If they "allegedly" pay  3% interest, I would want them to have as large a deposit as possible.

Have you noted savings account interest lately?  Considerably under 1%.

"I pose the questions to all of you, why is your money only accruing 3% interest, why is it totally beyond your control, is this money being held in escrow as it should or is our money being used at the total discretion of this money hungry inhumane monopoly?"

Most businesses charging a deposit DO pay more than market interest on the deposits, therefore they don't keep them any longer than necessary.  Usually at the end of a year of ON TIME, EVERY time payments, you'll get it back or credited to your bill.  Any "alleged" screw ups on your part and the clock starts over.

You haven't been ripped off at all.