Complaint Review: Gevalia

www.gevalia.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Gevalia What a scam...the coffee tastes aweful too... Dover Delaware

*Consumer Comment: Gevalia EXPENSIVE but no Rip-OFF

*Consumer Comment: Gevalia is a Good Company

*Consumer Comment: Great offers--no problems.

*Consumer Comment: They Always Treated Me Right When I Complained...

*Consumer Comment: I love Gevalia for quality!!!

*Consumer Comment: Great coffee!!

*Consumer Comment: We LOVE Gevalia

*Consumer Comment: Gevalia Coffee......my take on things......

*Consumer Comment: I drank it for years and found nothing wrong with it.

*Consumer Comment: No problems with Gevalia.

I found a coupon and wanted to try the free trial, when the free coffee maker and 2 small pints of coffee came, the machine worked 6 times and we wasted have the coffee because the water and coffee won't go thru, and you can't reuse it. the coffee tasted aweful as well.
I emailed to cancel the free trial and they said they did. then a few days later I found a charge on the credit card for $32.35, when I e-mailed to see why they would charge me, my email was unanswered and no response. So it looks like they charged me for the coffee maker and the 2 pints of less than satisfactory coffee.

No free trial people, just a scam and poor customer service.

There was nothing on the coupon that says you will charged for anything, at least that I could find. They did not ask me to return the malfunctioned coffee maker or that they would replace it or nothing, they just canceled my trial and charged me.

Linda
Portland, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2007 06:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gevalia/nationwide/Gevalia-What-a-scamthe-coffee-tastes-aweful-too-Dover-Delaware-257058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gevalia

Gevalia EXPENSIVE but no Rip-OFF

AUTHOR: Shopriderrider - (U.S.A.)

I have been a member off and on for 20 - 25 years and never had any problems, and that includes them replacing non-functioning coffee makers over 10 different times! We got into a batch of coffee makers about 5 years ago that one after another failed within a month to one lasting all of 4 months. Gevalia replaced each one at their own expense. Not much money can be made at that rate!
And the coffee is excellent some of the best coffee on the planet as far as pre-roasted beans. (I generally roast my own.)

Now I have a question for the original complainant. There is a company sending SPAM to people's e-mail boxes selling Gevalia, if this is where you did your ordering, from an unsolicited e-mail offer, who knows what you are getting?

But this does not sound like a rip-off by any means, it sounds like a mix up that could be easily resolved with a single phone call. 1-800-GEVALIA has never failed me.

Gevalia is a Good Company

AUTHOR: David Bullard - (U.S.A.)

I realize that no matter how good a company is, there will be instances of bad customer service. I've been getting coffee from Gevalia for over 20 years and never had an issue with the service or the billing. The original complainant said the coffee tasted awful and I take great exception to that. The coffee is among the best available in the US. Unfortunately too many people have had their taste buds ruined by that awful burnt tasting brew at Starbucks. Believe me, that aint good coffee. Just great marketing.

I was also confused as to how Gevalia got the complainant's charge card number. The coupons for the free offer don't ask for it. In fact I am billed and pay via my checking account.

Great offers--no problems.

AUTHOR: Debi B. - (U.S.A.)

I have responded to offers from Gevalia 2 or 3 times during the past 20 years. The first time I received a 4-cup coffee maker. It lasted a good five years. The coffee is rather expensive, so I canceled not long after joining with no problem. After the maker pooped out, I joined again. I received an even nicer 4-cup coffee maker. That maker has lasted almost six years now(mind you, I don't utilize it every day). Recently, I responded to an offer and forgot to call and defer my shipment the required five days before the scheduled time. I was panicked! I didn't have the money needed available in my account. My SSI check wouldn't be here for another week. I called the customer service dept. and luckily, my shipment hadn't left yet. They happily canceled the order and told me to call when I was ready. What a refief! So, I have no complaints.

They Always Treated Me Right When I Complained...

AUTHOR: Arthur - (U.S.A.)

OK, first of all, I do have a gripe with Gevalia. Two actually. The incompetently-run website and the way you can't count on them to ship when they say they are going to.

This last Special Edition had three different ship dates. I mean where it said on the website that product shipped on 4/10, then 4/17, then 4/24. It actually did ship on the last one, but the website never showed the tracking number and yesterday it got left on the front porch and got soaked by rain all night. Had I been expecting a shipment I would have looked out there, but thanks to the dopey website I had no clue.

The website is so hokey that when you go to sign in, Norton's thingy for filling in your log-in information does not even recognize it as someplace to fill in your info. And since I am on a fixed income (Soc. Sec.) and maintain a separate account for online purchases and only move money there when I have it and know it is needed, Gevalia's spastic shipping and order fulfillment made me have to switch over to have them bill me with each shipment. This they were happy to do.

Then too, I have had a coffee pot break (my fault) and when I called to ask if I could purchase a replacement the lady said she would just send out a whole new maker free of charge.

Also, I have had two separate Limited Edition varieties that were just real disappointments, along with this rain-soaked shipment and when I called, in each case they offered apologies and zeroed out the invoices.

So yes, these folks need to get their ducks in a row in some areas, but I can honestly say that their C/S department has always treated me like gold.

AUTHOR: Whathefox - (U.S.A.)

I have used the Gevalia company for many years off and on as I can afford it. I have my shipments to every 4 months now, so that I only recieve it a few times a year, and try to save it for special occasions. In a recession I cannot afford to drink it every day, but it is still by far my favorite gourmet coffee. If you like strong yet smooth coffee, then it is for you. The Raspberry is my favorite flavored coffee of all time. No other Raspberry is as good. Just this 30 year coffee drinker's humble opinion. I have never had any problem cancelling either. This has just not been my experience with this company for what it is worth.

Great coffee!!

AUTHOR: Drh - (U.S.A.)

I have been a Gevalia customer for over 15 years. Yes, I had a problem years ago with spam but a single call to customer service fixed it.
I drink dark roast - a friend gets traditional roast. Everyone whom I have introduced (by fixing a pot at my house - I am a shill for no one) has enjoyed the coffee and I could never go back to Maxwell House, Folgers, et al. That being said, tastes differ. But I think a more objective response would be to report that the flavor wasn't your cup of tea, instead of a blanket "it tastes awful."

We LOVE Gevalia

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

We have used Gevalia coffee for over 15 years and love it. Long ago we settled on their 'Traditional' Roast coffee and to us it defines what coffee should be. We even take it vacation with us.

We have never bought any of their coffeemakers so I cannot address that but we think the company is very accommodating and we have never had an issue.

I know :-) I sound like an employee but I am not, I am just a very satisfied customer. Coffee flavor is a very personal taste and would encourage everyone to buy what you like best whether it's cheap or expensive.

Gevalia Coffee......my take on things......

AUTHOR: Adolph - (U.S.A.)

....about three years ago I ordered a coffee maker (and some coffee) from Gevalia, primarily to get a $15.00 coffee maker. Three years of satisfactory use of coffee maker. Fast forward to November 2008. Coffee maker gave up the ghost. AGAIN, $14.95 total for ANOTHER very good coffee maker. Again, received and put in service, and again immediate cancellation of ongoing negative option coffee shipments.
I have no problem with their promotions. NICE coffeemakers. Less than half price. Oh, yeah-the accompanying coffee was TERRIBLE. It had a weird chemical taste.
$15.00 coffee maker yet again, one time billing.

When I cancelled the "automatic coffee shipments" I memorialized the conversation complete with their staff member's name. time, and date. No more billing.
Their operation is designed to set the hook for ongoing eternal shipments of somewhat overpriced, poor quality coffee. Their carrot is the coffeemaker. Grab it and then shut 'em off. Been there, done that 2X. Nothing in life is free (usually). Carefully choose the promotion to which you respond.

I drank it for years and found nothing wrong with it.

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

I was a regular customer of Gevalia's for a number of years, both of their regualar coffee and their special, more exotic varieties. I not only had no problem with it, I thought it was very good. I've been drinking specialty coffee since I was in college (30 years): I think I would have noticed if it was substandard. I also had no problem with the coffeemaker I received: it was worth what they said it was, since I found one just like it for sale in a department store.

No problems with Gevalia.

AUTHOR: Alan - (U.S.A.)

I have used the free coffee maker coupons from Gevalia three or more times over the years with none of the problems cited in this or some of the other complaints listed on your site. There have been different styles over the years and even a 4 cup coffeemaker that could be ordered accidentally due to the small print on the coupon. I think it was a refer a friend offer or something similar. Yes, they do keep sending more coffee periodically and the coffee is a bit expensive. If you keep up with your orders on their website, you can change the frequency They have a wide variety of gourmet and flavored coffees and teas from different countries around the world. Personally, I am fine with strong regular brand coffee like Folgers or the store brand they sell at Sam's Club, and it is a lot cheaper, although some of the exotic coffee from Gevalia was very good but some I did not like at all.

I'm sure there there are problems with Gevalia as with all mail order or Internet companies, but I have not had any problems with the coffeemakers or getting my coffee orders changed or cancelled. part of the problem may be customers not being familiar with how the program works. I think $19.95 for a quality stainless steel programmable coffeemaker and (4) 1/2 pound boxes of coffee with no obligation to buy more is a super deal. I received my latest coffeemaker and coffee around Christmas and called earlier today and put a hold on future coffee shipments until July, At which time I can decide if I want more coffee shipped or not. It was much harder for me to cancel my "Boca Java" coffee shipments on a similar deal.

I hope this helps clear up some of the problems people are having and I suggest to give them a try if you need a coffeemaker or like exotic coffee.

Good Luck,