Complaint Review: Global Discovery Vacations

• Updated: Sat, April 20, 2013

• Reported By: Laurie — Lakewood Colorado
Global Discovery Vacations
5360 College Blvd., Suite 200 Overland Park, Kansas United States of America

Global Discovery Vacations Agressive Sales Pitch results in grade B at best accomodations Overland Park, Kansas

My husband and I signed up in a raffle to win a trip for 2 vacation w/air. Of course they called back and said we'd won, but need to come in for a presentation (in Denver). Their powerpoint presentation, goodies and A+ used car-salesman type gave an outstanding presentation. You're led to believe you can get several vacation options/year for very little $$ at 4 and 5 star resorts. They tell you an expensive price upfront which everyone balks at. They then continue working with sales pitches like, for you two, we'll give you a thousand dollar+ discount and/or more stars for you, free upgrades, life-time membership, etc. Then the famous "We'll only give you this if you sign up tonight". Do you ever get the 'free' vacation promised? No, they subtract that from the huge membership fee. Has anyone ever gotten it? I doubt it. Did we sign - yes, because we thought we'd get so much more. After going home and re-considering, my husband and I canceled. Guess how fast they had us back to give us another even better pitch. They showed pictures of 5 star resorts and condos. And we could always upgrade...blah, blah.. I kick myself to this day and am too embarrassed to say what we spent. Let's say we could've had an amazing all-inclusive holiday in Europe for a month. On top of that, there is a yearly fee for $389. What did I get for my membership? Rules upon rules and exceptions like: Peak season travel costs more and may not get you anything unless you call 60 to 120 days in advance and still no guarantees. Currently available Resorts and condos are mostly grade B or less and most likely leftovers from another agency that wouldn't sell. Oh, but they can always upgrade for more money. By the time you pay for all the extras, (peak season, location, rooms and other upgrades, you pay far more than if you just  shopped on-line.  A condo on beach? Good luck!! Very few and far between. Want to travel to California for a quick get-away? What's left might be 50 miles inland. Cruises? The top-notch ones are available but not a part of program so you can get the same one usually for less on-line. Multiple, confusing rules and does not apply throughout their book. And if you book and change your mind, not in their time-frame, you lose your processing fee of $159 (2010). There's more, but I'm done as my stomach is churning. I'd like to believe in karma right now. I'm just trying to help someone else from NOT making this terrible mistake. Run away as fast as you can when you are told you've won a vacation or cruise. Would I be part of a class-action suit? Only if an honest lawyer actually wants to help get my membership fee back and most of it doesn't go back in his/her pocket. That would be just another scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2013 02:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Global-Discovery-Vacations/Overland-Park-Kansas-66211/Global-Discovery-Vacations-Agressive-Sales-Pitch-results-in-grade-B-at-best-accomodations-1044887. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Global Discovery Vacations