July 22, 2011
To Whom it may Concern,
On April 18,2011 I contracted with Globe Moving and Storage through a rep named Josh for our move from Parker, Colorado to Prescott Arizona. The estimated amount of the move was $1597.38. Our property was to be picked up on April 26, 2011. Everything started out OK except that they did not show up until the 27th, which put us in a very tight time crunch as we closed on the sale of our home on the 26th and had to be out by the 27th. Once everything was loaded into the truck, the rep tried to say that we had more than the estimated weight. I said I doubted that because we sold most of our furnishings. However, they had our goods so we went along.
Shortly thereafter things began to deteriorate.
We kept the company informed of our address and phone number in Arizona via both phone and email. Stilll
we received numerous emails stating they did not know how to contact us (see attached). Then they wanted a
payment of $1850 which I made on May 10. I did not agree with the amount, but since they had our property I was
backed into a corner. Then it got even better, On June 1 I received an email threatening to auction off our property due to non payment(attached), even though the payment was made by Visa on may 10. Finally this was resolved but only after numerous contacts with n alleged manager named Shawn.
The emails however continued, we cant contact you, etc. Finally on June 20 I contacted them and talked to a Roy and
told him we wanted delivery on July 1. He agreed. Then a few days later I confirmed it with Shawn even though I also sent several emails that they wouldnt respond to. On june 27 my wife and I were vacationing in Page,AZ when we recieved a call from a Marvin saying he was in Sante Fe and would not be able to deliver our property until the next morning (28th). I informed him that we werent supposed to get delivery until the 1st of July and that Shawn knew that. We didnt close on our new home until the 30th of June. After talking with marvin, I called Shawn who said that if we refused delivery on the 28th our property would be put in storage and we would be charged $950. I then tried to make arrangements for the stuff to be delivered to a friends house to avoid a
hassle. Marvin said he would call us from Prescott on Tues AM (28th) to get directions. Tuesday we heard nothing. We aborted our short vacation and headed for Prescott, fearing what is happening with our property. All the way we made numerous calls and left messages with Marvin, Shawn and the head office in Kansas. To no avail.
Finally we heard from Marvin that he had put the stuff in storage in Prescott Valley, but wouldnt tell us where. On our arrival late that afternoon we were able to track down the storage facility but were told we could not access our goods.
The next morning I talked with Shawn and again he demanded $950. At that point I contacted the authorities.
They called Shawn and he backed off the fee but would not give us access to our stuff. Finally he agreed to delver our goods on July 1st or 2nd. Those days went by as well as the 3rd and 4th with no word from anyone. Again we sent emails and left messages but no response. On Tues the 5th we contacted an AZ DPS officer. He had us contact an investigator the next day.
On the 6th I made complaints with DPS, AZ weights and measurements and AZDOT. These
investigations are ongoing. Again we spoke with Shawn who was threatening and belligerent about us making our
complaint. Finally he agreed to deliver our property in the next couple of days. Again no response and a no show. Finally after again contacting the authorities we were contacted by a driver on Mon the 11th. He was going to deliver our stuff that afternoon.
That evening they finally showed up, but when delivery was made there were other problems.
Several items were damaged, 8 boxes were missing and the contents of a duffle bag were missing. After documenting all of this the driver (Carlos) brought out a copy of the original contract for me to sign. However it had been tampered with and the amounts significantly changed from when I had signed it..
Not only dont these people deserve to be paid, I am strongly considering further legal action as well as looking into criminal charges of contract fraud. Even though they are well aware of missing and damaged items they have never contacted us about it or how to file a claim. This makes me believe the missing items are a result of theft, until they can prove otherwise. Also in looking for how to file a claim n the internet I came across the following site where many
others have experienced similar problems with these people.