Complaint Review: GoDaddy, Godaddy.com

GoDaddy, Godaddy.com
14455 N Hayden Rd #226 Scottsdale, Arizona United States of America

GoDaddy, Godaddy.com Screwed Me Scottsdale, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Regarding Whois

*Consumer Suggestion: You're not following the law, they are.

*Consumer Comment: I'm surprised.

If you have a business website hosted with GoDaddy, or are thinking of using them to host your site, DON'T!!

I get one spam complaint, and they demand: server logs showing when the complainant connected to my site and subscribed, opted-in, or consented to receive marketing information from my organization. This information must include the Time/Date of opt-in/subscription/consent, the IP address of the web server the complainant used to connect to my site, the Referral URL, a detailed explanation of how the example email address was obtained, a copy of any confirmation messages, complete with header information, that this individual sent to me when they consented to receive marketing information from my company, and all contact information I have for this individual along with any other relevant information that I feel supports my claim of prior consent.

I don't know of any business owner who keeps all of those records. Do you? Do you even know what they are?

GoDaddy demand $200 to "Handle" the complaint or shut my site and emails down. It was either that or pay a ransom of $75 to transfer my domain to another company.

I hate SPAM as much as the next guy but this is rediculous.

I'm moving all of my business from GoDaddy, telling all of my clients to move their's before they get screwed and advising all new clients not to host with them.

Don't get ripped off. Don't use GoDaddy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/23/2009 09:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GoDaddy-Godaddycom/Scottsdale-Arizona-85260/GoDaddy-Godaddycom-Screwed-Me-Scottsdale-Arizona-513793. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GoDaddy, Godaddy.com

Regarding Whois

AUTHOR: Brita - (United States of America)

I just have a response regarding the Whois comment. They are not violating any ICANN rules with this. And GoDaddy is not the only domain registrar that offers privacy with the registration of a domain name. All of them do: Moniker, TuCows, etc. ICANN does require that all domain owners have valid contact information on file. Privacy registration masks this information in the Whois, kind of like an unlisted phone number. The actual contact information, however, is accessible by ICANN. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean the people that need to can't.

Also- yes, you are by law required to have all of this information when you send newsletters or emails to your 'subscribers'. GoDaddy isn't ripping you off, you're just breaking the law. They charge you that fee to clean up the mess because when you get reported as a spammer, they get reported as a company allowing spammers. I've looked into this as I have worked closely with internet companies in the past. If you don't feel like following the law or don't do your research, that's not GoDaddy's fault. Just by reading your complaint makes me want to do more business with GoDaddy because I know they're looking out for their customers and the visitors to your site.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You're not following the law, they are.

AUTHOR: Laforge1701 - (U.S.A.)

GoDaddy is working within the confines of anti-spam regulation. Whether you receive 1 or 1000 spam complaints, per can-spam 2003, it is your responsibility to verify the person you spammed opted in. If you are not keeping logs of this, that's your fault.

Solution? Keep Logs. Alternate solution? Use their EEM program which will keep the logs for you.

I'm surprised.

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

I'm surprised alright!

Congress passed some anti-spam legislation a few years ago that DOES require a lot of what they are demanding from you.

What surprises me the most is that they're really pressing you for all of it, when IMO they violate ICANN rules on a continuing basis.  ICANN rules clearly delineate that WHOIS information MUST reflect the actual and correct information of the DOMAIN NAME OWNER, and yet they are making a fortune with their "domainbyproxy" service which is a clear violation of the rules.

BTW, the reason they (and others) have been able to get away with this is because the ICANN whois requirements have not been testing in U.S. courts.