Complaint Review: GoDaddy

• Submitted: Sun, September 26, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, October 06, 2010

• Reported By: Hayden — Chester Other United States of America

GoDaddy are extorting money from a non-profit organisation, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Backup your web site

*Author of original report: Situation now resolved to my satisfaction.

I have used Godaddy for a number of years.
A week ago, they took down my non-profit mental health support website for no visible reason. Further inspection showed that a payment had failed. Rather than phone me or write me a letter (they have my full contact details), they decided to take down the site and DELETE ALL OF THE FILES/DATABASE.

They are now demanding $150 for my files. I have been given 30 days to come up with the money, or say goodbye to the files forever. Godaddy failed to inform me of this for two weeks.

I have spoken to a very aggressive GoDaddy representative who cannot explain why they failed to notify me of any problems before deleting all of my files. She simply informed me that if I do not pay up their $150 fee within the next two weeks, I can kiss goodbye to my files and sites.

I have never experienced such tratment from any other company. In fact, I suspect that this sort of practice may well be illegal.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2010 05:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GoDaddy/internet/GoDaddy-are-extorting-money-from-a-non-profit-organisation-Internet-644551. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GoDaddy

Backup your web site

AUTHOR: Dr Emmett Brown - (United States of America)

When creating a web site, save the work to your local machine. File save as while in a browser is one wayof doing it.

Yes they should have called you, but they do email you. Make sure your email address is working and not rejecting their messages as spam.

They have been real good about customer problems, so this problem is with you. Live and learn.

Situation now resolved to my satisfaction.

AUTHOR: Hade - (United States of America)

I have just spent about an hour on the phone with Godaddy and this has now been resolved to my satisfaction.

While I do feel that Godaddy handled this badly, I am willing to accept that this was an abnormal set of circumstances.

Once I got beyond the less-than-usefull first-line support at Godaddy, I finally spoke to a helpful guy named Matthew who recovered my data and helped me set up my Godaddy payment preferences properly.
I hope we both learned something from this experience:

Me: Always check up on renewals at least once a week. Ensure all companies are kept updated when cards expire and backup EVERY site EVERY night.

Godaddy: Don't delete paying customers files on the assumption that they saw your emails. Simplify your customer payment/renewal management interface. Display alerts as soon as the customer logs in. Tell them if you are going to delete their files. And most of all, LISTEN to an upset customer. I am incredibly loyal, but if I fell I've been treated unfairly, I WILL post 10 bad reviews online.

Thank you.