Complaint Review: GoWireless (Verizon)

• Submitted: Sat, January 04, 2014
  • Updated: Thu, June 12, 2014

• Reported By: RWill — Highlands Ranch Colorado
GoWireless (Verizon)
9567 S University Blvd; suite C-4 Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA

GoWireless (Verizon) scamming & deceptive sales practices; zero customer service; leaving it up to Verizon to solve their problem Highlands Ranch Colorado

I walked into the Highlands Ranch location to inquire about switching to Verizon after 13 years with Sprint. For some reason my new home in Denver was in a Sprint dead zone.
Carlton the sales associate told me it was my "lucky" day because if I switched either that day 11/23, or the next, Sunday, 11/24 that I would receive a $100 rebate per line as well as no Verizon activation fee. Currently $35/line. I was effectively promised $270 in credits to switch. I was also told that he would "throw in" a couple phone cases."

I was promised a bill of somewhere between $160 and $170 depending on the taxes in my area. That was coming from a Sprint Bill of $148 for 2 lines, but hey I needed service at my house.

I quickly ran home to get my wife's old iPhone 4S so I could trade both phones in and make the switch. As i proceeded to check out, I learned that "throwing in" phone cases meant a 20% discount. I also saw 2 $20 charges on the bill for activation. When I questioned Carlton, he told me that was a "store charge" and there was no way around it. He then assured me that I would NOT see any other activation fees on my bill.

It was explained to me that the $100 credit per line would take up to 3 billing cycles. OK fine it's $200 and that at least covered my last Sprint bill of $148. Apparently you pre-pay with Sprint, so I had to pay for both services for a month to switch. I thought "Oh well I'll have service at my house and come out $52 ahead." I declined the $10/line insurance joking with Carlton that I would be sure to add that as soon as I lost a phone!

Less than a week later comes my first bill. I knew that $200 credit would not be on there, but I expected no more than $170 or so. I received 2 bills totalling $343.82 for my first month of service! Not only were the 2 $35 activation charges on there, but also $10/line for the insurance which I declined. That's not to mention that Carlton set my account up incorrectly as 2 accounts instead of 2 lines that share the same plan.

I immediately called Verizon customer service to fix the billing, remove and credit the insurance plan, and to understand why the activation fees were still showing up on the account. The customer service staff at Verizon was incredible although it takes a while. After 3 hours of calls to Verizon I still had one issue. There was apparently never a promotion in my area offering free activation. So on top of horrible customer service, I was charged for services which I declined, the setup process took over an hour vs. 5 minutes that I was quoted, at the end of the day, - I was out and out lied to. I called the GoWireless store and asked to speak with the manager. Derek McCollough who was actually in the store on 11/23 when I signed up, assured me that it was a mixup and that the activation charges would come off my next bill. He was very nice and appologized for the confusion. I asked if he could send me an email to that affect and he agreed. believe it or not, I didn't receive that email.

Just before the holidays I called Verizon customer service again explaining about the activation fees. Once again they were great, even offering to call the store while I was on the line. Of course no one answered. The Verizon rep told me i just needed to get ahold of Derek the manager and have him call Verizon. She also said that she would call again that Saturday and that they would take the charges off without an issue.  They just needed to hear from him that there was a mistake. I left no fewer than 3 messages at GoWireless prior to Christmas asking Derek to call me or Verizon to straighten this out. Again... nothing!

That brings me to today 1/3/2013 nearly a month and a half after signing up. I stopped into the store this time. Seeing that Derek was behind the counter,  I decided to wait and just ask him to call Verizon while I was there. A 5 minute conversation would clear this up.

After a 35 minute wait for 1 customer, it was finally my turn to talk to Derek. I briefly reminded him of the situation. He assured me that he was not working that day saying he's never seen me before in his life. Odd how I recognized him right away. When i reminded him of our phone conversation and that he was to send me an email, he decided to actually look at the computer screen. He all of the sudden remembered, but had accidently sent the email to the wrong address. I said look I just need you to call Verizon and let them know there was an error. They said they would reverse the activation fee." He agreed and then disappeared into the back room for 20 minutes behind closed doors.

Derek emerged to tell me that he had spoken to his district manager and Verizon rep, and that there was nothing they could do. I promptly told the customer next to me to get everything the salesman was saying in writing. Derek rolled his eyes at me. At then I told him I would stop in once a week until this was resolved. He promptly told me that he would call the cops on me! Seriously! Talk about customer service!

I then asked again for him to just call Verizon customer service. He finally obliged. After Derek spoke for 2 minutes and acknowledged that they "may have made a mistake" he looked at me and said "Just the $100 per line that was the only promotion" I then took the phone, requested the supervisor who looked up the number of calls I had made regarding the isuue. Within 5 minutes he refunded the activation fees and I received a profuse apology for the horrible customer service I received from GoWireless.  He also gave me some great advice. "Always go to an official Verizon store if possible!" Yes sir!

In 13 years with Sprint I had never experienced issues like this.

I thought maybe this was an isolated incident until I found RipOff Report with 17 reports filed against GoWireless in the past couple years!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2014 12:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GoWireless-Verizon/Highlands-Ranch-Colorado-80126/GoWireless-Verizon-scamming-deceptive-sales-practices-zero-customer-service-leaving-1112826. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GoWireless (Verizon)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC