Complaint Review: Godaddy

• Reported By:pilcher Utah
Godaddy
http://www.godaddy.com Internet U.S.A.

Godaddy Sends Multiple Spam Emails ripoff Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Buried? What about when you started your account!?

*Consumer Suggestion: You can change your preference

I registered a domain name with the registrar godaddy. It seemed like a good deal, since it was a little less expensive than Network Solutions, and I figured they must be a legitimate company given all the marketing that they do.

After working my way through all the ads they display in the registration process, I got to the checkout window. I specifically did not check the 'send me updates' box, since I already get enough spam in my inbox.

Yet despite that, GoDaddy still sends several emails to me on a regular basis. I get an almost daily update of the status of my domain name. 'your domain xyz.com expires in 237 days'. I also get a newsletter from their CEO about the latest news on their company.

Most companies will send you an email verifying that you have signed up for their newsletter, and requiring you to click on a link to complete the registration. GoDaddy never did this. They simply added me to their spam list without ever doing me the courtesy of asking if I wanted to join, and despite the fact that I did not check their sign up box when I joined.

Of all the companies I have done business with on the web, it would be difficult to recall any who have spammed me to a greater level than GoDaddy.

Just a fair warning to anyone considering doing business with them. Prepare to have your inbox filled with spam. If the lower price is too much of a bargain to pass up, I would suggest opening a throw away email account, on Yahoo, and using that email address. This way, all the spam they send you will go there, instead of into your real email account.

Hiram
pilcher, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2007 06:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Godaddy/internet/Godaddy-Sends-Multiple-Spam-Emails-ripoff-Internet-236456. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Godaddy

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Buried? What about when you started your account!?

AUTHOR: Derek - (U.S.A.)

I hate to break this to both of you but those options aren't exactly buried. With all the things available that GoDaddy does, it would seem pretty obvious that those options would be under the account settings.

Secondly, you opted in when you signed up your account. Go to the godaddy home page and start up the process to sign up a new account. When you enter your name, phone number, address, etc., there's a pretty bold-faced list there that asks you to check off the emails you're authorizing them to send. It checks them all for you by default but almost every site does that (even RipOff Report). Read what you sign and submit and don't blame others for your laziness. Just because you didn't take the time to read what you were submitting when you created your account does not mean that GoDaddy is doing anything fraudulent. It's similar to signing a lengthy legal contract without reading it. You have no leg to stand on. It was up to you to read it before you signed it no matter how long it was. Nice try, though.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You can change your preference

AUTHOR: C - (U.S.A.)

Hi

It is unfortunate that GoDaddy penalizes their customers for making innocent mistakes with their own opt-in blunders. But GoDaddy is famous for not honoring opt-in/out for their OWN newsletters.

But the good news is, all you have to do is dig WAY deep inside your account to change this preference. Here are the instructions:

Click on "My Account" under Welcome Back to GoDaddy.com.
Scroll down to Customer Info & More.
Under that, click on "Account Settings".
Next click, "Email Preference Information".

The gray panel to the right will display the many ways you can have them email you. They have so many ways and newsletters, that I guess you never did "technically" tell them not to send you what they do.

Go figure, right?