Complaint Review: Godaddy.com

Internet, Select State/Province USA

Godaddy.com Deleted my website data! Internet

*General Comment: Restoration fee

*General Comment: RIP OFF

*Consumer Comment: One of the best responses ever....

*Author of original report: Wild speculation, nothing added to case.

*Consumer Comment: Hold Yourself Accountable

*Author of original report: Why the vitriol? What axe are you really grinding?

*Consumer Comment: So where were your backups?

I have been with Godaddy for at least 15 years.  I used Godaddy to host a non-profit's website (www.songhaicity.net & .org) that took scores of hours to build and many more to maintain.  After hosting the site with Godaddy for several years, we were 30 days late one month.  With little, if any warning, Godaddy took down our site.  When I called to pay and get it put back up, they told me that THEY DELETED ALL OF OUR DATA!!!  They said that maybe we could find a cached version of our former site somewhere on the internet.

We lost years of hard work, original sermons and music content for a church, amateur performances, historical facts about our organization (Songhai City Cultural Center).  Even though I am one of their original customers, I have learned to HATE Godaddy.  I think they removed our data because they disagreed with the political/grass roots content.  DON'T USE THEM TO HOST YOUR SITE.

Storage is cheap.  How could a few megabytes matter to them -- especially for a very long-time customer?  They didn't even care when we confronted them.  I have also lost dozens of domains registered through them over time because they had (maybe still have) a quirky, I think deliberately dubious and ambiguous means of informing you which domains were due to expire.  If anyone wants to start a class action suit, I will be the first to join.

AGAIN, I HAVE LEARNED TO HATE GODADDY.COM.  Arrogant workers, poor customer service, insensitive, possibly hate-filled policies.  GO ANYWHERE, but there.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2013 09:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Godaddycom/Internet-Select-StateProvince/Godaddycom-Deleted-my-website-data-Internet-1095588. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Godaddy.com

#1 General Comment

Restoration fee

AUTHOR: Phil - (USA)

I had the same horrible experience of having my web site deleted after a week past the monthly payment that was declined. To add insult to injury, Godaddy charged me $80 for a "restoration fee". The real nightmare is, a few hours later, they emailed me to say they didn't have a good backup. My site had been up for 4 years and was professionally developed, plus had been updated dozens of times and had a whole product catalog. Thousands of dollars work lost! What they do is criminal. Anyone interested in suing them?

#2 General Comment

RIP OFF

AUTHOR: Jonathan - ()

GoDaddy is nothing but a hosting wh**e, There's plenty of other company's out there that do their job 20 times better, They also deleted my content, How are you supposed to back up your website when you use their back up tools, I backed up my website and they deleted the website and the backups, They also told me that once the account is late that they cancel the website and then wipe the drives 10 days later which is rediculous, I don't know any other hosting company's that delete their clients data 10 days after being late on a payment, They don't care about their customers, even the loyal ones who have brought them hundreds of dollars in business. Taking down the website... I can understand, Deleting the website I can sort of understand, but deleting their backup's during the time that the account was active is stupid. screw godaddy and for all you "current" employee's about to respond to this subject, I want to hear what you have to say before and after your employement, since once again, they do not care about anyone else but $$$$, Bob Parsons needs to get things back in line with the core company instead of worrying about formula one races.

One of the best responses ever....

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

I actually wasn't going to reply to the nonsense that was posted, but seriously...

First of all this is a PUBLIC web site that ANYONE can post to, and actually unlike other sites there is no way to remove any of the posts...it is the policy of this site.  So guess what you are going to get people who don't agree with you, and guess what else...there are people that are NOT(well at least I am not and I am pretty sure the other one isn't) employees of this company.  This was a very helpful exchange for others to remind them to ALWAYS back up their data.

You can request, beg, plead all you want to this site but a)The Administrator is not going to ban anyone from posting(believe me if you have seen some of the posts you would know how true that is), b)Not going to release ANY information to you about any poster.   If you don't believe me just go ahead and read Ed's "AboutUs" page..heck there is even an e-mail address there you can e-mail him at.

The fact is, and from a very good term the other poster gave.  You did not do YOUR "Due Dilligence" in safekeeping your information.  Now, unfortunatly the advice to keep backups after this happened is sort of like telling the farmer to close the barn door after all of the cows ran away.  You can disagree all you want, but it also explains why you have just a fraction of a fraction of a percent chance of actually ever being able to bring a suit against them and prevailing.  Oh and the only reason I give you that much of a chance is because of how unpredictable courts can be sometimes.

Now, just a few other "points" you bought up...

I've paid Godaddy at least $10,000 over the years for domain registrations, web hosting, and various priority/frequent customer programs.

- Per your original post you have been with them for at least 15 years.  Okay let's cap it at 15, that means you have spent an average of about $55/month with them.   So don't you think that if they didn't like your site they would have found a reason in this 15 years to make you.let's say "disappear"?  But no, based on your logic they waited until you were delinquent so that they could pick on you out of the thousands of other sites they host to do it within the terms of the account..oh yea makes total sense.

By the way if as you claim you lost several other domains with them through the years, why didn't you switch to other services?   Just off of the top of my head I can name no less than a couple dozen hosting companies you could have moved to.

Oh and this may be a shocker to you...I do not use GoDaddy for any services as I have found better hosting companies.  So this is coming from someone who could care less if you stay with them or not, but it is also from someone who is telling you that you are wrong and I would have said the same thing regardless of the company mentioned.

Good luck and have fun trying to recreate your data you never backed up.

Wild speculation, nothing added to case.

AUTHOR: Philly Justice - ()

I actually thought this would be a dialog between Godaddy, those with concrete facts relevant to this matter and me.  Now, I've read the second response from someone who knows nothing about this, but insists on putting in his two, worthless cents.

"I highly doubt that they disabled your website because you owed them $10. It's more likely that you failed to respond to late payment notices."

and <IT'S MORE LIKELY> are proof that this person should not be allowed to comment.

If I knew that Godaddy would destroy our online presence because we were a month behind, and even destroy our backups, I would have never allowed them to host our site.  As I said, I suspect that Godaddy took this action because they did not like our content.  What I hope is that others who have received similar or curious treatment will respond.  There should be a way to get to the bottom of what's really going on at Godaddy - even though they might attempt to remain silent.

Who has time to post replies to matters outside their sphere of knowledge?  Why haven't we heard from someone who identifies him/herself as an employee of Godaddy?  Perhaps it's because we keep hearing from people who get to pose as non-employees, but who are really speaking for Godaddy.

RIPOFFREPORT.COM:  Can you share the email addresses, IP addresses or other indicia of any association with Godaddy of those who comment on my complaint?

EVERYONE ELSE: Please focus on your own affairs unless you have specific information that can be helpful to the general public and spare everyone your wild, uninformed, passionate speculation.  Who wants to read that and you are just cluttering up what should be a helpful exchange.  Maybe that's the real objective ....

Hold Yourself Accountable

AUTHOR: coast - ()

"Even though I am one of their original customers, I have learned to HATE Godaddy."

But for some reason you chose to pay them more than $10000 over a fifteen-year period.

"I think they removed our data because they disagreed with the political/grass roots content."

Apparently it was a coincidence that they disabled your website when you failed to pay your bill.

"Arrogant workers, poor customer service, insensitive, possibly hate-filled policies."

GoDaddy provides the best customer service in the web hosting industry. It appears that they have a major requirement: Customers are required to keep their accounts current. Seems reasonable to me.

You brought this upon yourself by failing to maintain a backup of your website, failing to pay your bill and permitting your domains to expire.

"If anyone wants to start a class action suit, I will be the first to join."

To win a class action suit you will be required to prove negligence of another party. You lost your data due to your own negligence. When you created the account you agreed to their Universal Terms of Service Agreement, that includes: You agree to back-up all of your User Content so that you can access and use it when needed. Go Daddy does not warrant that it backs-up any Account or User Content, and you agree to accept as a risk the loss of any and all of your User Content.

I highly doubt that they disabled your website because you owed them $10. It's more likely that you failed to respond to late payment notices. No, I don't work for them. I am a satisfied customer with a current balance.

Why the vitriol? What axe are you really grinding?

AUTHOR: Philly Justice - ()

It is remarkable that anyone unrelated to this story would spend so much time and energy attacking us and not saying one negative word about what one must conclude is their employer - Godaddy.  Virtually everything this employee said was full of venom, but short on facts or balance.

If they had asked, I would have told them that we used Godaddy's backup tool that comes with their Website Tonight feature and REPEATEDLY BACKED UP OUR DATA!!!  (So much for the ridiculous and unnecessary accusation about negligence -- why even raise that when we're talking about grass roots orgs who have lost their data due to Godaddy.com??)  But, this "reviewer's" employer, Godaddy, DELETED ALL OF OUR BACKUPS TOO.

Regarding paying our bill, I've paid Godaddy at least $10,000 over the years for domain registrations, web hosting, and various priority/frequent customer programs.  The disporportion of their action is what is most disturbing.  How could they have a policy to remove our data when we were a month late ESPECIALLY AFTER that was only about $10, when I've paid them a thousand times that over the years, so was among their very best customers, and I don't recall receiving advanced notice of what they were doing.  If they sent me anything, it had to have been vague and indescript, as well as only shortly before the deletion, or we would have been on notice and would have saved our data.

In the end, Godaddy proved to be a classless organization that I would never trust with my primary or backup data.

Please, no more Godaddy employees respond to this unless it is to apologize, tell us that they really have our data stored somewhere, and are all too happy to restore it immediately.

Again, why all of the vitriol, contempt and defensiveness -- not to mention lies - from the "reviewer" unless he has a personal stake in my comment?  The only conclusion is that this individual is an employee and is probably upset that someone has finally called Godaddy to the carpet.  Go back to work -- unless you already are at work and sending your comments for your boss ....

RIPOFFREPORT.COM, please block this person from further responding and please tell us his IP address so we can trace it back to Godaddy.com, if appropriate.  He has absolutely nothing to contribute to this matter!!!

So where were your backups?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

- So at no time during this 15 years you didn't save any backup of your site?

Let me tell you the position you put yourself in from YOUR negligence.  If you ran a web design company and this organization hired you. If the loss is as extensive as you say, they could come after you for your negligence in not keeping backup.  Where they could sue you for enough money that would actually cause you to loose your business.   If you happened to be an employee of this organization they would have every right to fire you.  In fact you can hear many stories of these exact this same things happening.

- NO.  They removed your data because you were LATE in paying your bill.

- Of course it would be nice if a company notified you in a way that you found acceptable.  But the fact is that these are your domains and your responsibility.  This means that you need to keep track of when you need to renew the domains, or set them up for auto-renwal and only have to worry about it when your credit card expires and you need to put a new one in.

- You were a long time customer who didn't pay their bill.  It is ironic that you talk about cheap storage.  Because you should have bought some of this cheap storage to keep an archive of the site.

Oh and no I do not work for GoDaddy.