Complaint Review: Golden Girls Kennel

• Updated: Thu, March 14, 2013

• Reported By: Katie Vannoy — Missoula Montana United States of America
Golden Girls Kennel
15470 County Road R Fort Morgan, Colorado United States of America

Golden Girls Kennel wouldn't work with us after selling faulty pup for over 3,000.00 we wanted to return. Offered no reimbursment even though we wouldn't be able to use pup for breeding because of elbow disease in both f Fort Morgan, Colorado

*Author of original report: Truth from Katie.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Half Truths are being told

We bought a English cream golden retriever male from the Golden Girls' kennel since from what they said on their site their dogs have the best lines, beautiful conformation, and most importantly the best health. We spent over 3,000.00 on one of their male puppies to get him to our place.  We have a small kennel here, and have saved up to buy a high quality dog so we would have good, healthy lines to build our business here on. So our puppy arrives and we noticed he was tiny, look like he wasn't fed properly, and our vet agreed to that. (Our golden retriever pups are TWICE that size at that same age, and Golden Girls kennel told me that the parents of this puppy were around 90lbs. which would mean the puppies would be bigger too.) To make a long story short, this puppy we got from them continued to have problems, the biggest being the fact that he started limping at 5 months and when we got his x-rays done after that he had good hips, but his elbows had elbow displaysia with degenerative joint disease (DJD) and fragmented coronoid process (FCP) in BOTH from elbows. To even fix this problem we would have to get a surgery done for another 2,000.00 and he couldn't be used for breeding which we got him for. We told Golden Girl's kennel about this, and sent her the OFA report on his hips for proof, and emailed her many times asking if they would work with us on something, whether it was giving us another dog if we sent our dog back, or even reimbursing us part of the amount and they offered to do nothing for us saying that there wasn't a guarantee, and it was our problem etc. They blamed us for choosing the male we chose saying we should've chosen the one she liked better. That made me wonder if she knew this one had some kind of problem when she sold him to us. I hope not though, but still I wanted to warn people about this kennel that they're not to be trusted. I know if we sold someone a dog, and even if we didn't have a written guarantee and this person's dog had problems we would give that person another puppy for sure because it is the right thing to do.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2013 01:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Golden-Girls-Kennel/Fort-Morgan-Colorado-80701/Golden-Girls-Kennel-wouldnt-work-with-us-after-selling-faulty-pup-for-over-300000-we-w-1027600. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Golden Girls Kennel

Truth from Katie.

AUTHOR: kcline - (United States of America)

I did indeed contact Golden girls kennels when I noticed pup was limping and took him to the vet where x-rays were taken. although at the time the vet only saw a defect in one front elbow and we hoped it would heal up with time.When we got his official prelim OFA elbow x-rays both elbows were infected with Elbow Displaysia at 9 months. Our pup was never allowed to be overweight, but he gained weight to a healthy weight which he wasn't at the start. We never demanded money back or another dog, but asked if they would be willing to work with us since we saved up to get what we thought was a dog from good,healthy lines. We told them we know there is no guarantee but explained that we lost the money which was saved to be invested in a dog to only find out that we won't be able to have him as a stud dog after all.

As far as the size, a pup can be a smaller dog, but grow to be the biggest. There was never anything mentioned about him being inferior to the other male which we could've chosen. It was the breeders personal preference, and Golden girls thought the other male was the better looking one, which we didn't so we got the one we did. As for not doing anything for the dog, that is not true. We have him on a raw diet and the best available supplements and instead of getting worse, he has improved a bit, and is not in pain. We spend time with him daily. Also, the breeder never offered to take him back ever and I don't see how we could've handled this situation differently.

I treated Golden Girls the way I would like to be treated and asked her to please think about working with us on this situation. I'm not mad at Golden Girls, but want other people especially those that are interested in buying a breeding dog from her to consider going elsewhere because if their dog ends up not passing his/her clearances there's not way of getting another dog from them. I'm not saying all their dogs are bad, and they are beautiful, but I think it would've been nice if they could've perhaps given us part of our money back so we could re-invest in a different male somewhere else or even if she could've give us a different male pup from a different litter. Anyways, I believe that I've learned from this mistake, and make sure the breeder has a guarantee. I guarantee my puppies!!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Half Truths are being told

AUTHOR: Kate - (United States of America)

This person from Gizzlykennels.com did buy a male pup from us- we were never contacted that he was limping at 5 months, we were contacted that the pup did not pass his hip clearances.  We were threatened, manipulated, and badgered to refund their money.  This puppy was clearly sold with no guarantee- they even say in the e-mail that they know he had no guarantee but now want a replacement puppy or their money back.  The contract was good enough for them when they bought the puppy, but now want to change the terms of it.  When they bought him, it was against this breeders opinion, they picked the smallest pup in the litter and then they complain about his size.  He was most certainly never underfed or not properly fed and to say that is ridiculous and false.  We will take this puppy back at any time and give him the required surgery, that is after all the most important thing, that this pup is not living a life of pain.  It has been months and too our knowledge nothing has been done by this owner, Katie Vannoy to help this puppy, she is more interested in sending us e-mails and having her friends, family and folks call to threaten us.  Had this been handled differently and professionally we would have done something, but we do not negotiate with people who treat us with threats, bottom line.

We have been in business for almost 20 years and have not gotten here by breeding bad dogs.  There is no proof that environment does not play a roll in Elbow displaysia or the problems this pup has.  All the other puppies in the litter are fine.  We cannot guarantee a living, breathing thing where the environment cannot be controlled by us.

This breeder knows we have some of the best European lines in the US and they want a puppy from us so very badly and are upset that we are no longer interested in doing business with them after the way they handled themselves.

At 10 weeks Katie sent me an e-mail saying this pup had gained a lot of weight and maybe too much- this is bad on the elbows from the start.  I have several other e-mails up until he was 6 1/2 months old saying how much she loves him, no mention of limping.

Unfortunately, he did not pass his clearances, it is a gamble with any puppy.  Golden Girls has done nothing wrong.  We never guaranteed he would pass his clearances.  We were never notified of any problem with him until he did not pass and then they began threatening us and we are not willing to work with people like that.

Kate