Complaint Review: Goodwill Industries

• Reported By: Thrift Store Shopper — Tennessee
Goodwill Industries
, Select State/Province USA

Goodwill Industries Not a Rebuttal - an Observation Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: Mangager Run Theft Ring in Middle Tennesse Goodwill Berry Hill Store

*Consumer Comment: I agree

I am a thrift store shopper, and Goodwill is one where I shop, and has been for many, many years.  I believe that I make wise decisions while shopping there.  However, I must admit that every since someoneone found the  historical papers that made him quite a bit of money, the Goodwill Industries has raised their prices so high that it appears that they have lost sight of who really, for the most part, in my area shop in the stores.

In my area, there are many dealers who visit the Goodwill Industries, and make nice profits from items purchased.  However, it also appears that the Goodwill does not want them to do this (hate to say it, but, they appear to be resentful of this), so they raise their prices so high that it affect those who need the items most.

I shop very wisely at the Goodwill - most items in my home come from there (as a matter of fact too many items in my home - almost look like a hoarder, just a little neater).  Just as I set spending limits for other retail stores - I do the same for the Goodwill.  Start refusing to pay their prices, and go elsewhere, they will get the message (remember supply and demand).  After all, why should I pay more for an item that can be purchased new at another retail store.

Since I like vintage and antique items (plus saving natural resources), the Goodwill use to be a GREAT place to shop for those type of items; however, now, they appear to place poorer quality items in their stores that are higher than the same items new at another retail store.  I refuse to buy them! Stop buying there if they are tooo high - I believe that with the economy improving, the Goodwill will lose several customers as people are going to be willing to give a buck or 2 extra for the smae item new, and if most people comparison shop, they will find that most used items purchased at the Goodwill can be purchased new for less during sales at other retail establishments.

As for Shopgoodwill.com, I attempted a fewl years ago to purchase items there, and the prices would jump to a ridiculous amount whenever I would bid on them.  At the time, I believed that it was employee bidding or bots... so glad to hear that others experience the same thing (especially in the early phase of bidding)... I refuse to purchase items from that site!  They are overpriced!!!... I believe that most people including dealers are unwilling to pay the requested prices for some items that are practially destroyed.  Condition of non-rare items is everything.  I continue to believe that there are shills (bots) raising prices; however, I exercise my rights and say NO WAY!!!...

Have you also noticed that an item identical to the one that sold for an inordinate amount on Shopgoodwill.com shows up in a Goodwill Industries, retail store close by at a very low price in a week or so (you say to yourself, now, I know I saw that item on Shopgoodwill.com last week, but, it sold for toooo high for me)?????... Yep, I have seen this on several occassion, and purchased the items(s) at a reasonable price.  I notice that this happens around the holiday time of year more than any other time... So Happy for Me.. Great Holiday Gift.

Send Shopgoodwill.com and Goodwilll Industries a message by refusing to purchase overpriced items...nobody needs most of the common, so called rare, overpriced items, (most of the vintage / antique items  can be found at another thrift store for less).  Shop wisely there, and enjoy your purchases.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2013 10:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Goodwill-Industries/Select-StateProvince/Goodwill-Industries-Not-a-Rebuttal-an-Observation-Tennessee-1072655. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Goodwill Industries

Mangager Run Theft Ring in Middle Tennesse Goodwill Berry Hill Store

AUTHOR: nashvegas - ()

Goodwill should have their tax exempt status pulled. The managers at one of the best stores, Berry Hil,l are stealing the best merch.  Honest employees soon quit because of this too. Customers and employees have reported it to the corp office but George the district manager tips them off whenever this happens and alerts the theives if there is an investigation about to happen. This is not provdiing a service and Jim Cooper our congressmand needs to be made aware

I agree

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

I have to agree with you if Goodwill set their price higher now. There is no reason to do so even with the news about finding rare items from their shop. The reason of their existence is not related to external news. They get their supplies for FREE because people donate them. Marking the price up is not their business because it does not change why they are there. I guess the people who manage/work in the "nonprofit" does not understand the word "nonprofit" at all. Maybe they want to increase their own salary...