Complaint Review: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co

• Updated: Wed, October 13, 2010

• Reported By: JMV527 — North Bellmore New York USA
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co
1144 East Market Street Internet United States of America

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co 6 year warranty scam junk tires another crap US company, Internet

*Author of original report: Mind Readers

*Consumer Comment: Master Mechanic Jim here

*Consumer Suggestion: A few things about tire warranties, and a suggestion

What a joke, I bought new "High Performance" Goodyear Eagle GT tires for my son's car on 05-29-09.  I notice a week ago the sidewalls were splitting (they look like they have been that way for a while) and took the car to my local Goodyear Dealer in Levittown, NY.  Steve told me he would order the tires, and I could come back and they would measure the tread depth and Goodyear would pro rate the old tires.  These tires had a 6 year warranty.  They are not quite a year and a half old.

So another trip to see Steve yesterday. (10-11-10)  After making me wait 20 minutes before someone could walk in the parking lot and measure the tires, he showed me the invoice of what it would cost to put the 4 new tires on the car. (245/40R-18 93W BSW)  The cost was over $650.  I asked him what happened to the pro rate?  He said the front tires were shot (I measured 4/32) and the backs were not as bad.  What a scam, I only paid $552 for the tires new.  The same tires are $140 on the web with free shipping, Steve told me their price was $192 each.  So I got aggravated and left.  That's the last time I will ever buy Goodyear crap again.  Plain Junk!!! and no customer service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/12/2010 02:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Goodyear-Tire-Rubber-Co/internet/Goodyear-Tire-Rubber-Co-6-year-warranty-scam-junk-tires-another-crap-US-company-Int-650127. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co

Mind Readers

AUTHOR: JMV527 - (USA)

Geez maybe you guys should learn to read....

The side walls were all spitting....not from use from defect!!!

They had been split for some time, just did not notice it.

And for your information you don't know my Son you moron, so keep your stupid comments to yourself.

Maybe you should go to Wallmart and buy a life, instead of boring people with your nonsense.  If the tires were not defective, I would not have gone to the dealer.

Master Mechanic Jim here

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Tell me what tire pressure you put in those tires, Saying "I don't know, or whatever they put in, is WRONG.

You should put 35 pounds of air in each tire, the kind of wear you say is there tells me either you drive exceptionally much, OR the tires were run Soft.

You see, I run Goodyears on my 2002 Camry, and I just had to replace all four at 125,800 Miles, nothing wrong with Goodyears.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

A few things about tire warranties, and a suggestion

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

There are several things here you are overlooking, and/or just dont understand.

Tire warranties are ALWAYS "pro-rated", if you get a warranty at all! Many performance tires have no mileage warranty at all. Like my Kumho performance tires. $200 tires with a 90 day warranty. That's it. But I knew and understood that when I bought them. And, almost 2 years later, they are like new.

Most tires stipulate MILEAGE as the main criteria for the warranty, and the years stated only mean that the stated mileage must be within that time frame. So, in essence, you never really had a 6 year warranty.

Also, tire prices have increased sharply in the past year alongside oil prices. Yes, prices do go up.

Different retailers have different prices. Why did you not take them back to the same place you bought them? Or did you? You never specified.

And, that $140 price you got on the web, does not include mounting or balancing, or extras like road hazard, etc.

$140 x 4 = $560 PLUS mounting and balancing at the standard price of at least $15 per tire which is another $60. $560 + $60= $620. So, let me get this straight, Steve at your locat Goodyear store could have done this for you right then, right there for only $30 more than the hassle of buying on the internet and waiting to get them, then loading them up in your car to take them and get mounted and balanced.

Are you kidding me????

You need to get a SERIOUS reality check! And, while your at it maybe calm your son's driving down a little, and/or look at the maintenence on the car itself a little closer.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Goodyear tires. After all, almost every single police car in the entire country uses them with no problems.

Get a grip.