Complaint Review: Government Grants Department

• Submitted: Wed, November 30, 2005
  • Updated: Wed, November 30, 2005

• Reported By:St. Louis Missouri
Government Grants Department
24 Main Street Polland, New York U.S.A.

Government Grants Department free money phone scam man with an Indian accent Polland New York

I just received a phone call (about 7:30 pm, Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2005) from a man with an Indian sounding accent who told me that the Government Grants Department wanted to electronically transfer $12,500.00 to my checking account. There were ambient office noises in the background (perhaps a recording). He read me my name and address (which he probably found in a public directory), and told me that all I had to do was complete the information by giving him my checking account number.

He gave me the following information about himself:
Name: Nick Jones
Employee ID: T1346
Company Address: 24 Main Street, Polland, NY

I asked if I could call back after verifying the legitimacy of the address and offer. He refused to give me his phone number. He insisted that there was no need to worry since my checking account number was public information that could be seen on the checks I write. He said that after I gave him my checking account number "the comupter lady" would give me a confirmation number and the company's phone number.

I told him that I decided to reject the offer. He replied "You can buy everything with this money." I hung up. Unfortunately, I don't have caller ID, so I could not get the phone number.

Karmella
St. Louis, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/30/2005 07:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Government-Grants-Department/Polland-New-York/Government-Grants-Department-free-money-phone-scam-man-with-an-Indian-accent-Polland-New-Y-166437. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Government Grants Department