Complaint Review: Grace Nails

• Reported By: serendipity — Toronto Ontario United States of America
Grace Nails
5 Carlton Street Toronto, ON Toronto, Ontario United States of America

Grace Nails Untrained people doing nails. Toronto, Ontario

I chose this salon because it was across the street from my hotel and because it was in new building on a main street, I figured they should be good.

When I told them I just wanted a manicure, I was advised they didn't just do manicures, I had to have a package, the cheapest of which was $30, which I told them I thought was far too much.  I was going to wait for the "nail technician", but I watched her use the same utensils on two different people without sanitizing in between.  I decided then and there that I did not want anything done by this person as I risked catching a disease, since she didn't sterilize the utensils between clients.

I told them I couldn't wait any longer I had another appointment and I was going to be late.  They tried to claim I had to pay the $30 anyway because I had booked the manicure.  This older woman blocked the door and started yelling at me and was trying to physically prevent me from leaving, at which point I called 911 for the police.

After the police arrived this woman tried to tell them I owed her money and wouldn't pay.  I explained to the police that I saw unsanitary and probably illegal use of tools being used without being sanitized.  I explained I was afraid of being infected by a disease from someone else the tools had been used on. I told the police that at that time I decided I was not going to allow them to touch my hands.   I also advised the police that I was going to report the nail salon to the Health Department.

The police agreed with me that I had every right to leave if I did not observe the expected high standard of sanitation a salon should maintain and that because I had waited 30 minutes, I had the right to cancel and that I did not owe them any money.

With the assistance of the police I was able to see the salon license and get the name of the owner, so I could call the City Health Department on Monday.

To me, this nail salon should not be allowed to be in business.  The people there are not properly trained and have no idea of sanitation and disease control.

Beware of this place, they'll rip you off and you might catch a disease from the unsterilized utensils they use.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2012 12:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grace-Nails/Toronto-Ontario-M6E-3M7/Grace-Nails-Untrained-people-doing-nails-Toronto-Ontario-959438. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grace Nails