Complaint Review: Grand Canyon University

• Updated: Fri, November 30, 2012

• Reported By: robert — jonesville South Carolina United States of America
Grand Canyon University
Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Grand Canyon University Get everything in writing, Grand Canyon University will tell you anything to get your money!!! Phoenix, Arizona

*Author of original report: I have appealed this case 3 times with no results

*UPDATE Employee: Resolutions

*Consumer Comment: jeansky got out of rehab too soon

*Consumer Comment: suggestions

I have been a student at Grand Canyon University for 3 years. I ran out of financial aid right before my last class. I informed my academic counselor that I couldn't take my last class until I could raise the money, as I couldn't afford to pay back an extra loan. My counselor called me back two days later to tell me that he found a $1,500 scholarship that would cover the whole cost of the class. He told me not to worry about anything, that he had it handled.

Fast forward two months. I passed the class with an "A". I was then told by my academic counselor that I wasn't actually eligible for the scholarship. When I told him that it had to be covered because I had no way to pay, I was told that there was nothing he could do. I spoke to his supervisor, but nothing.  After hours of talks back and forth, a $500 scholarship was "found" that reduced my bill to the college.

It is now a year later. My degree is in limbo, because Grand Canyon University refuses to release my transcripts. I am still listed as owing almost $1,400. I have Grand Canyon University's own legal department (Bass & Associates) sending me harassing phone calls at least every other day, demanding payment in full. I have appealed the decision two times to no avail. I am also unable to get a decent job because I lack proof of my degree.

It seems ridiculous to me that a university would happily take over $20,000 from me but then be so short-sighted to let a $1,500 mistake by one of their employees keep me from graduating. They seem to have no interest in someone getting a degree, they just seem to be interested in your money. After reading about other people's experiences with Grand Canyon University, I see that I am not the only one that this has happened to. I wish there was a recourse to get this resolved.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/27/2012 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grand-Canyon-University/Phoenix-Arizona-/Grand-Canyon-University-Get-everything-in-writing-Grand-Canyon-University-will-tell-you-974466. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grand Canyon University

I have appealed this case 3 times with no results

AUTHOR: robert - (United States of America)

I have sent a message to Grand Canyon University to at least try to resolve this. Unfortunately, I have little hope for resolution, since I have appealed this case through the proper channels three times already.

I will be the first one to tell everyone if this is settled, but so far it has fallen on deaf ears. No one has tried to help at the university, and when someone seemed to think it should be easy to straighten out, they were not available the next time I called. Be very wary of enrolling here!!!!! You have been warned!

Resolutions

AUTHOR: GCUStudentResolutions - (USA)

Hi Robert,

We're sorry to hear that you're frustrated and would like to help! Please send an email to our Student Resolution Office so they can advocate on your behalf to help achieve a resolution for you. The address is: resolutionteam@gcu.edu. Kindly detail your situation and someone will reach out to you to help resolve the issue.

Thanks for allowing us to help!

jeansky got out of rehab too soon

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

stacie is looking for you go back

suggestions

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

There are a few places you might register your complaint. If you actually live in South Carolina, you can contact the SC Commission on Higher Education (803-737-2260). They regulate which schools can operate in the state.  The last few years have seen a strong interest in the tighter regulation of these online proprietary schools.

You might also want to contact all the agencies listed on their accreditation page (http://www.gcu.edu/About-Us/Accreditation.php).  Accreditors are not happy to hear about this kind of ripoff.  Schools that are accredited are required, as part of their accreditation process, to demonstrate how they handle student complaints. You might be able to raise some awareness of your situation.

Good luck!