Complaint Review: Grand Canyon University

Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Grand Canyon University fraud, student loans, tuition Phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Liars at GCU

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: They did you a favor

I got my bachelor's degree through a program at my former employer, who had a direct bill agreement with Grand Canyon University. I ended up dropping a class which I of course would have to pay for, so I applied for a student loan to cover; I also needed the money because the costs of buying books was proving rather prohibitive. I was awarded UN subsidized loans, because I had no financial need according to my FAFSA, , which I knew would happen. The week I graduated, I got a bill for in the area of $2500. A month later, it was up to $3190. I am now receiving collections calls from them, and they are saying I took out $12000 in loans which I was not entitled to. This is patently not true! I was only awarded $8245 by the Dept of Education and the disbursement by the DoE was on 8/17/2010. In fact, when I called the student loan servicer for my loan, there were THREE LOANS taken out in my name, only one of which I signed a Master Promissory Note for, and only one of which I received fund from!

When I spoke with Desiree, a loan manager from financial services, she said the above - that I was given too much money (the $12000) and that I have to pay it back. I did NOT RECEIVE THIS EXTRA MONEY NOR DO CAN I ACCOUNT FOR WHERE THE REST OF MY LOAN MONEY WENT AS I ONLY RECEIVED $6052 OF THIS MONEY YET I OWE $8245 PLUS INTEREST. The class I dropped was $998 in tuition yet there is $2193 of the loan money missing. Where has it gone? They cannot tell me. Nor can they tell me how it is I received SUBSIDIZED loan money which they say they had to pay back and is what they are billing me for. They keep calling the loan a 'stipend' and saying that I got more money that I should have because I exceeded my 'need.' Well, since my loan wasn't based on NEED I am really not sure what they are talking about. They are also saying I didn't disclose that I was receiving a scholarship which is what they are calling the direct bill program - since they would never tell me what the tuition difference even was until after I graduated, I don't think I was being dishonest there. Yet there were no changes to my award amount according to the Dept of Ed rep I spoke with.

I have receipts from my former employer stating the tuition was paid in full; I have proof from the loan servicer that three loans were taken out in my name; I have a copy of my FAFSA stating the amount and type of award. I also have a letter from Michael Whisman saying that once my employer paid, I would owe nothing. Yet now they are calling this collections calls. This has been truly a nightmare. I owe more to them and to the student loan servicer than I would have owed if I had just gone to ASU or NAU, and I was trying to avoid more debt.

What do I do? My husband says them taking out loans in my name is identity theft.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/01/2011 08:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grand-Canyon-University/Phoenix-Arizona-86333/Grand-Canyon-University-fraud-student-loans-tuition-Phoenix-Arizona-794263. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grand Canyon University

Liars at GCU

AUTHOR: Justified - (United States of America)

OMG! I am having the same problem and they stated that they sent a check to me but I never received a check of that kind. They lied to you, played with the money and stuck you good. So sorry that we were tricked.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

They did you a favor

AUTHOR: Justin Doug - (United States of America)

How would you like to tell future employers that you received a degree from an online university that was sued by the United States Department of Education for FRAUD?

In a way, they did you a favor.  You might want to inform your boss about GCU so that he can team up with a legitimate online university.

Good luck, and I hope you get your money back and don't have to pay that exorbitant bill.