Complaint Review: Grand Discovery

• Updated: Thu, August 02, 2012

• Reported By: Ellen — concord North Carolina United States of America
Grand Discovery

Grand Discovery Promise of a Free Crusie...Doesn't happen! Internet

My husband and I were called and promised that we would recieve a "free" five day crusie if we came up to Grand Discovery and sit in a 90 seminar.  I specifically asked if I would be asked to buy anything and was told absolutely not.  I then stated, are you sure all we have to do is sit there and listen to in this seminar and I will not be pressured into buying anything and you will give us a free cruise and I was told, emphatically, yes!

We got to the office and a gentleman came over and took us to a table and we sat down, he introduced himself as we did ourselves.  I then asked him about selling us something because I was told that that would not be the case and he just laughed.  He said well at least I know where you stand, but of course we are here to try to sell you something.  I told him I was not there to buy that truthfully I came there to get the "free" cruise as had been promised.  He stated that I would get a certificate for a prize, but he had no control over what it was as it was from a different company.  My husband and I sat for the presentation and although the salesman was very knowledgable and it sounded like a terrific deal, I just couldn't afford the price and told them.  Thank you, but no thank you.

We left the table and went to the front desk and asked the woman for our gifts and she handed us a folder, told us to follow the directions thoroughly and be sure and send the "deposit money" in with the form within three weeks.

I followed all directions.  I got money orders as it stated.  I filled out the form as was required and mailed it off.  We waited to hear back for a month.  Finally, after a month we recieved a letter in the mail, with our money order enclosed, stating we did not follow the directions exactly as I had not sent the form or money order certified.

Nowhere  did it state that it had to be certified and they got it!  They are the ones that sent it back, but the letter said because we did not sent it certified we were ineligible for this prize.

The whole thing is a scam.  They "are" there to sell you something, even though you are told on the phone they are not.  They have no intention of letting everyone get a free prize, because I feel that one way or another they will find a way to tell you that you are ineligible.

I was so angry that I threw the booklet away, which was a bad move on my part because now I can't prove that it did not say anything about certified mail.

So anyone who does go there, be sure you follow the rules, read every little line (I guess even if it's not there!)  If anyone knows how I might get my cruise out of this, please let me know.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2012 10:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grand-Discovery/internet/Grand-Discovery-Promise-of-a-Free-CrusieDoesnt-happen-Internet-921428. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grand Discovery