Complaint Review: Grassroots Campaigns Inc.

• Submitted: Sun, March 13, 2011
  • Updated: Wed, February 22, 2012

• Reported By: Jamie — westwood Kansas United States of America
Grassroots Campaigns Inc.
4342 Bellview Ave kansas city, Missouri United States of America

Grassroots Campaigns Inc. Took my hope, and dashed my belief in making a difference in kansas city, Missouri

*UPDATE Employee: Not everything on the internet is true

*General Comment: A mom's perspective...

I was looking for a place I can make a difference so naturally I was drawn to the ad by Grassroots Campaigns. The ad was looking for people who want to help end hunger, people who want to make a difference. I quickly signed up and quickly found out the truth.

When I got the job it was explained that I would go out with a small group and we would try to talk to people to get others interested in helping and encourage donations for the Feed The Children cause . We were also told that 90% of the proceeds would go to the charity. My first day I was given a goal of raising $50. I was also told I would make $8.90 per hour plus commisions. On my second day I found out what they said was not true!

My second day was a slow one for the entire group, no one really raised much money and when we returned to the office it was not a happy place. It was "explained" to us that if we didn't raise enough money each day how did we expect to get paid. I did not understand that since I thought the money we were raising was going to help people. It immedietly became clear this wasn't about doing good it was about money.

It was also strange on my second day we changed causes. First it was about Feed thd Children and then it was switched to helping victims in Japan without explanation of how that money was going to get to the victims. Again it was just about the money.

My second day was my last and since I've discovered this group is hired by organizations to go out and canvess. It really has nothing to do with helping. I was so dissapointed and still feel discouraged.

Bottom line if you want to really help the community make a difference stay away from Grassroots Campaigns Inc. they do not care about raising money that will go back in the community instead its about raising money for the people that hire them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/13/2011 02:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grassroots-Campaigns-Inc/kansas-city-Missouri-64111/Grassroots-Campaigns-Inc-Took-my-hope-and-dashed-my-belief-in-making-a-difference-in-ka-705487. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grassroots Campaigns Inc.

Not everything on the internet is true

AUTHOR: ThoughtfulActivist - (United States of America)

I have worked for Grassroots Campaigns in KC.  When I was there we, on several occasions, got on conference calls with Save the Children and even had the ACLU come and talk to us in the office.  These were the 2 campaigns we worked for this summer.  Every time the representatives of these organizations had rave reviews about the work we were doing and they thanked us profusely.  It has been one of the best experiences of my life and I have learned a ton while working with great people to really make a difference.  Save the Children even said that 51% of all their new sponsors (monthly givers) came from face-to-face canvassing.  I loved it.  It's too bad your daughter didn't get to experience what I have. :(

#2 General Comment

A mom's perspective...

AUTHOR: mama - (United States of America)

My daughter, who attends KU, was approached by grassroots campaign, inc (GCI).  She was excited at the thought of working for a cause and getting paid for it! When she told me about the job...red flags started popping up everywhere. I felt bad having to warn her about people that will take advantage of her youth, enthusiam, and naiveness. I looked online and found these rip-off
reports and sad to say as a mom I was right about GCI. BUT, please don't let these people squelch your enthusiam for wanting to help others. Instead, chaulk it up as a good life learning experience
and then join Americorps, or get a job at target and volunteer on the side at the American Red Cross, your local hospital, an assisted living center, or an animal shelter. There are so many places to do good and you young people who want to help others are AWESOME kids. We old people LOVE your youth, enthusiam, and naiveness and you want to help us and we want to help look out for you.

Thank you for posting information about GCI...you've already helped others!