Complaint Review: Great American Readers

• Updated: Sat, October 06, 2012

• Reported By: kapu — san diego California United States of America
Great American Readers
PO Box 20460 bloomington, Minnesota United States of America

Great American Readers i received a text for a free $100 walmart gift card. i call the number and they say i need to purchase 1 magazine for $17.27x4 magazines. they said it was a one time purchase and i would not be under bloomington, Minnesota

i received a random text message for a free $100 walmart gift card. So i called the number that was with the text message. I went through a process of asking them how to obtain the gift card and they wanted me to purchase 4 magazines for a one time price of $17.27. I told them no thank you i dont want to be committed to make those payments. they told me it was a one time payment and i could cancel at anytime I wanted and it was not under a contract. T

hey said i needed to go through and automated system to finish the process. This automated system asked me if i was going to make 60 payments for $17.27 and during this I said no I do not want to make 60 payments. The representative came on and said oh its fine you just have to say yes, you dont have to make 60 payments, you can cancel whenever you want. I told the representative it sounds fishy i dont want to go through. Well they somehow convinced me to continue. a week later i had not received any magazines or a walmart gift card.

I revieved a call from great american readers and they said i needed to rerecord the automated system because it was garbled. It asked the same questions and i again said i dont want to be under a contract or anything, and they convinced me again saying i was not under a contract or committed to make these payments, its a trial. a months time had pasted and i had canceled my old credit card. i received a call from alex franklin claiming to be collections and saying i have not made the months payment and i need to give him a payment method.

i told him i had not received no magazines or $100 walmart gift card. he starts telling me that i am recorded saying that i will make the 60 payments and its a verbal agreement. i told him about how his representative said i was not under a contract and he kept telling me you have buyers remorse and i just dont want to make payments so hes going to send it to collections. i told him, no i dont not have buyers remorse and im trying to understand the situation. he had a rude manner with me and hung up. later on in the month i received a call from alex franklin again and i asked to speak to a manager, he refused and claimed he was the manager.

I had ended the conversation with him and called back. i spoke to another Representative and asked if alex franklin was a manager and he said no, i am the supervisor. So yet again i received false information to be scammed for my money. I am currently still trying to figure out how to legally fix this problem because i believe i am a victim of a telemarketing scam. after this had happened i did research, i was not the first person this has happened too. Many people have similar stories to my own. I could not even find a website or a address for this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2012 04:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Great-American-Readers/bloomington-Minnesota-55420/Great-American-Readers-i-received-a-text-for-a-free-100-walmart-gift-card-i-call-the-nu-951766. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Great American Readers