Complaint Review: Great American Van Lines

• Updated: Wed, March 21, 2012

• Reported By: Eric — St. Michael Minnesota United States of America
Great American Van Lines

Great American Van Lines DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY Internet, Internet

DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY. My estimate was $3.25 per cubic foot and I had an estimate of 661 cubic feet of items to move. The week prior to delivery I payed a $200.00 deposit and signed an online agreement which was supposed to secure the BINDING rate of $3.25 per cubic foot. The movers were originally scheduled for Saturday but they didn't make it until Sunday. When they showed up they gave me a different quote of $3.75 per cubic foot, which made a difference of over $400

Dan, the owner/general manager, refused to honor the original BINDING estimate.  Dan also said he couldn't make any promises that I would get my deposit back.

They broke that first contract but I had to get moved and we eventually settled on a flat rate quote of $3000. I was already into the company by $200 and I knew there would be extra expenses from the packing materials and a little bit of overage on cubic feet. The point is, they broke the first binding contract and wouldn't give my deposit back. I tried to argue the point and get Dan to honor the original contract, but he refuses to listen to reason, talks over you, and is very rude. I even tried to make a deal at $2700, still well over my original quote, but Dan refused.

There were a few other issues I had with them.  They told me that I had to pay 50% at the time of pickup. When they picked up
my stuff they required 70%. I was told they would crate my motorcycle which they did NOT do. I was quoted for 3 movers to come but they only sent 2. Bottom line: this company lied about the quote, would not honor their contract or refund my deposit, and failed to live up to their promises. I am not someone who usually complains, and have never written a bad review about a company before. However, I am a very unhappy customer and have filed a claim with the BBB. DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2012 05:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Great-American-Van-Lines/internet/Great-American-Van-Lines-DO-NOT-USE-THIS-MOVING-COMPANY-Internet-Internet-857489. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Great American Van Lines