Complaint Review: Great Expectations

• Submitted: Thu, February 27, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, February 27, 2003

• Reported By:warwick Rhode Island
Great Expectations
One Park Row Providence, Rhode Island U.S.A.

Great Expectations rip-off Providence Rhode Island

*Consumer Suggestion: Read the contract

I would like to warn everyone about Great Expectations and their slimy business practices. I had an interview on 2/25 to discuss their dating service. It was a 2 hour high pressure interview. I stated repeatedly I was uncomfortable signing on and wanted 24 hours to consider this. THey indicated the fee would go up a few thousand dollars if I didn't decide right then & there.I finally agreed & paid $1895 (original fee they quoted was $4290 but they came down repeatedly when they saw my hesitation).

I knew the minute I left that I was coerced and did not want membership. I contacted them the first thing in the morning since I was there til after 8 pm and didn't get home til 9. They refuse to refund my money. They said if I had called when I got home, they would have refunded me. Or if I had paid by check, I could have stopped payment. But basically I was screwed.

I contacted the Vice President of the company and he told me I need to take responsibility for my actions and sorry, no refunds. I have not used their service, I will not use their service, and I have basically thrown $1895 down the toilet. I am disgusted with them. They have their contract written that says you can only cancel if you DIE. Do not even consider signing up with them!

Joanne
warwick, Rhode Island

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2003 12:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Great-Expectations/Providence-Rhode-Island-02903/Great-Expectations-rip-off-Providence-Rhode-Island-47208. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Great Expectations

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Read the contract

AUTHOR: Terrance - (U.S.A.)

Many states have laws which give you x days to change your mind on such a contract. Does yours say anything about that? If not, you may be out of luck from a legal standpoint, but you could possibly persuade them to refund your money, if you spend a little time and a little money. Here's what you should do:

Print up some flyers and a sign that says something like "Great Ripoff... Don't fall for it". Stand in front of the GE office and hand the flyers out to anyone going in. If they think you're causing them to lose sales, they may refund your money just to get rid of you. Good luck, and post a reply if you get any results.